Food to take Camping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Milk will be OK for first 2-3 days it will travel frozen in a ooolbox. If there's a stream nearby I'll use it. If I can get an eathenware pot to a shady stream the milk ould last all week. Ditto with butter but you an do it with oil. I'm hoping I can do milk as I much prefer it in my brew.

Elen Sentier

Ummm ... maybe. I'm a fussy sod and prefer to know where my meat comes from and how it lived. I'm often able to meet the beasts I'll later eat and occasionally help with their feeding. I also live in the middle of an industrial farm (not mine!) and see what goes in at the front end of the beasts as well as all the medial crap they get injected, etc, with. I don't want to put that into my stomach if I can avoid it.

Jan 15, 2012
essex
cans of ham is good, get a good size can in 99p store. use some with your tea and fry to rest in the morning.
Can get a lot of stuff these days in packets at pretty good prices.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeek !!! Not at those prices! Stick to the shops :).

The cheapest one I saw on that page was only $102 (about 63.84 GBP) But they said they have one for as cheao as $81 (about 50.69 GBP) That doesn't sound too expensive for a machine that will last for 10 or more years and can vacuum pack for the freezer aand the pantry as well as trail foods.

The more expensive ones scare me too! LOL

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
How about getting a food dehydrator? Iv got a westfelia 1 and its brilliant!
It cost about £35 and Iv used it loads to dehydrate different foods.

Just make your favorite foods but replace steak for mince, chicken for chicken mince etc and dehydrate it over night.

Another way of figuring out this whole camping food business is to work out the sort of things you eat at home and then figure out a way of doing it in the field, or finding substitutes in shops that are packaged in a way that doesnt need keeping chilled.
for instances, I like to eat a nice tuna pasta at home, sainsburys do nice foils packs of tuna, you can take dry pasta and an onion to fry, I like mayo and a bit of ketchup in it too which you can get little sachets from resturants etc and now you have found a way to have tuna pasta in the wilds.

Remeber you can do exactly the same cooking outside as you can in bar having an oven, but its already been said on this thread that there is a way round that.

Hope this Helps
Steve

Elen Sentier

Steve, I'm looking to get one ... gotta find the £35 and need to prioritize :)

I can do lots of the cooking outdoors, it's being stuck without being able to get fresh food that's the problem so the dryer wold be useful ... depending on how often I'm going to be to that long. The foil packs of tuna sound good, shall look for other things also in foil.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
If I can get an eathenware pot to a shady stream the milk ould last all week. Ditto with butter but you an do it with oil.

If you take a clean wool sock, and wet it with the bottle if milk in, as the water evaporates then it cools the liquid inside, my mate also uses this method to keep his beer cool :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acatalog/Khanum-Pure-Butter-Ghee.html
Butter Ghee is a great standby for camping, nice resealable tin too. Thats a great site to order your bits and bobs from, free delivery over £35. Take a look at the ready meals too, boil in bag, good quality some is buy one get one free and no refrigeration needed. http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acatalog/Ready-Meals-Items-11-20.html

http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acatalog/Nestle-Nido-Instant-Cream-Milk-Powder.html#aGRO091_2dp best dried milk you can get, full fat, tastes very good for instant milk, you'll never use any other once tried :)

S.C.M.

Nomad
Jul 4, 2012
Algarve, Portugal
I know I'm late, but I hope I'm not soo late as to be unforgivable (did that make sense?:rolleyes:)
Anyway, in regards to bringing meat, why not get a pet rabbit or ten? live meat doesn't spoil :D. While you're at it, take a hen too (like was said earlier) and a dairy cow. Meat eggs and milk! no chance of spoilage! and you can get the cow to carry your stuff as well!

or you could take hunting rights to wherever you're going, if you don't feel like carrying a farm

Jan 19, 2013
Finland
For future uses, do you guys have the 2dl cream cartons in Lidl? Doesen't need to be stored in a fridge. We have milk (UHT) in those too, very handy with base camp kinda situations.

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
If you take a clean wool sock, and wet it with the bottle if milk in, as the water evaporates then it cools the liquid inside, my mate also uses this method to keep his beer cool :)

LOL yes my beer was warm after being left in the car in the sun, remembering an old Arab technique of using a water bag that "sweats" thus evaporating in the sun it keeps the water cool. Tried it with a sock which wasn't clean lol and hey presto cool beer after 20 minutes in the sun

unijaw

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2013
Trowbridge,Wiltshire
First time I went solo wild camping with almost no research into it beforehand I just took water and five packets of pork scratchings!! Living the highlife!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE