Food to take Camping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Would like advice on what to take to cook & eat for a week's wild camping in June of next year.. I will have a base camp but will be away from the car. I can carry stuff from car to base camp. I eat quie a lot of mea and love cooking it on a camp fire; like cheese, fruit, veg. I loathe pre-packaged/dried stuff, but like jerky. Want stuff that will keep OK and am thinking of taking cooked meat as well as fresh. I can't hunt or fish.

All advice/ideas welome.

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
Get a Norgie container (£25 upwards) and use as a freezer box. That way you can eat as at home if you freeze food before setting off. Search on here for Norgie container which will explain better than I can.
Alan

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
You can't rely on a norgie for a week and in June, certainly with fresh meat, dangerous practise.

If you can use the car just go shopping a couple of times in the week. If not take plenty of canned food, 5 minute rice/pasta, eggs sort of stuff. Practise at home in the pans you will use, get used to making the meals.

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
"You can't rely on a norgie for a week and in June, certainly with fresh meat, dangerous practise."

Have to disagree, as I have done this now on several canoe trips as follows: Pre chilled norgie, freeze meats seveeral days before leaving and pack a.) in order of use and b.) fully and finally park the norgie out of the sun and open only when needed (hence a. above).

Elen - hope my posts help..... Oh just off to the loo, must have been something I ate ;-)

Elen Sentier

Ta guys, will look (carefully) at Norgie container. No, can't use car to shop during week, hence question. Eggs and cheese were on the list, couscous, sourdough bread (which will last a week easily), potatoes for baking, fruit & veg, nuts & dried fruit, porridge & museli. I'm fairly used to my pans and I'm usually able to shop if out that long but not this time.

What about cooked meat? How long might that be safe?

Hope the collywobbles gets better soon, Humpback ... maybe that last pigeon was a bit off ??? :)

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
Hi Elen, I take the Mattisons Smoked Sausages, chorizo, salami - anything cured really. The Mattisons are quite tasty fried or in a pasta sauce. I also use them for bait if I'm fishing.

aris

Forager
Sep 29, 2012
UK
Cured/dried meat is the way to go. Dried eat can be rehydrated and cooked very easily.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I use the dried pasta then add meat to it when cooking it, after a few days go on to dried/cured meats...... Also dried friuts to make things like apple and custard.... Also make friut breads, and biscuity things, buy putting one billy indie another to make an oven.

Also have a look in the hedgerows for things like blackberrys, nuts ect.

Last edited:

aris

Forager
Sep 29, 2012
UK
The mattesons product mentioned before is good - it is heat/vacuum sealed and is actually an ambient product. Chorizo and any other dry cured sausage is also a good bet. Just be careful how you store them - don't keep in plastic, but rather keep in something breathable like paper (newspaper works). Personally, I make my own biltong. If you dry it completely rather than keeping it moist inside, it can last for many months in dry conditions. I've even eaten years old biltong :)

Elen Sentier

One billy in another - hadn't thought of that, will try. You do like a bain marie, water in the outer one? Will also look up how to make biltong and have a go over the winter. Cured/dried meat, definitely. Love dried fruits+custard :), also Ambrosia rice pud is my comfort food so shall pack a couple of cans. Prefer couscous to pasta but otherwise yes, and it's also practially fool-proof to make.

bearbait

I second the dried or cured meats suggestion such as chorizo, salamis, etc. For a bread on trips I use tortillas which seem to stay fresher than bread over several days. Or take some flour, baking powder and salt and make your own bannock fresh daily. You may get some more food ideas from this BCUK thread, particularly with regard to calorie intake. I've made Logan Bread (also mentioned in the thread) which is a great hiking/expedition food if you're day hiking from your base camp. It's more of a flapjack texture than actual bread. A few herbs and spices can add a lot to a meal. Eggs seem to keep pretty well, if you can store them safely; hard-boil a couple at a time. Tinned mackerel (in brine I prefer) is great as it is or curried. Assorted dried fruits and nuts chopped as large or as small as you wish can go with oats as muesli for breakfast, as they are as a trail mix, or in plain yoghurt as a pud.

Have a great trip...

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I follow the practice of folk who live in the mountains well away from daily or even monthly shopping and rely on dried sausage of the chorizo type. Being highly spiced and full flavoured, a little goes a long way and it can be eaten hot or cold, on its own or as an addmix. I find myself eating a lot of couscous because it takes only a little fuel to prepare and is delicious with chorizo and nuts. I pick things that use little fuel in cooking and are light to carry but bulk up well, hence the couscous. Instant noodles are also a standby although I'd never dream of eating them at home.

My camping cooking if I am travelling on food differs a lot from home and campervan cooking. For instance, I take sachets of instant coffee in the one-day ration packs I prepare at home but only ever drink top quality coffee made from freshly ground beans at home. As a wise friend remarked, "Just think of it as another drink and call it instant instead of coffee." I organise each day's food into a Ziplock bag. That way you don't end up with a lot of couscous but nothing to go with it. It also makes it easy to calculate how much of everything you are going to need. I try to vary the contents of the bags for variety, but a typical bag for one day will have in it:

A pour and store bag with a portion of muesli to which has been added dried milk powder and sugar to taste, two instant co**ee sachets, two green tea bags, two packs oatmeal biscuits, two cereal bars, a baby bell cheese (bad cheese but keeps well), a packet of tissues ( because I have a horror of running out of loo paper), a packet of flavoured couscous OR a portion of instant mash OR a packet of intant noodles each in a pour and store bag (convenient to just add boiling water), a piece of smoked sausage OR jerky OR small tin of tuna, OR a Look What We Found sachet OR a commercially produced just add water instant meal a little bag of salt and one of pepper pinched from a motorway caff.

When we did a long journey across the Rockies years ago, we used to take a bag of dampermix beacause my wife was a dab hand at cooking it over a campfire and our boys used to like it with peanut butter on it- although they were usually so hungry they'd eat anything that wasn't still moving. They still tease me about the muesli I used to make and only recently told me they used to have a competition every morning call "Hunt the Peanut". I thought they were feeding the ground-sqirrels, but it seems they were trying to catch them to eat.

For me, the trick is to not expect to eat the same way as at home. I find this easy when I'm on my own, but after 50 years of marriage, I still haven't convinced my wife to do likewise even though when we camp, I'm the cook! She always insists on taking French milk-bread rolls, which isn't really a bad idea. They last very much longer than ordinary bread, don't make crumbs, are high in calories and can be squashed into a pack easily without breaking. In the campervan we always carry a reserve of tinned stew picked up in France.

Since writing the above I've read John Fenna's review of MX adventure foods. I'm definitely going to try these next time out.

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
"You can't rely on a norgie for a week and in June, certainly with fresh meat, dangerous practise."

Have to disagree, as I have done this now on several canoe trips as follows: Pre chilled norgie, freeze meats seveeral days before leaving and pack a.) in order of use and b.) fully and finally park the norgie out of the sun and open only when needed (hence a. above).

Elen - hope my posts help..... Oh just off to the loo, must have been something I ate ;-)

Not with fresh meat, too risky, the norgie is good but not that good. Even with litre bottles of frozen water and the meat frozen you are pushing food safety going a week with fresh meat. Definitely not safe practise.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Corned beef is my staple meat when I'm away from civilization for any length of time, and cous-cous my preferred carbohydrate. I just add peas, carrots and lashings of Habanero sauce or chilli relish. Heaven.

It might be worth keeping an eye out for some of the surplus army ration pack stuff that appears on here from time to time. Some of them aren't exactly cordon bleu but some of them are very tasty. I've eaten them many years after their use-by date. :)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Packages of Kraft Macaroni & Cheese (or any other brand) are better when you add a small can (7 ounces or metric equivalent) of meat; my prference is shredded canned ham. Also look for the soft packages rather than hard cans for easier (and slightly lighter) transport.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
One billy in another - hadn't thought of that, will try. You do like a bain marie, water in the outer one? Will also look up how to make biltong and have a go over the winter. Cured/dried meat, definitely. Love dried fruits+custard :), also Ambrosia rice pud is my comfort food so shall pack a couple of cans. Prefer couscous to pasta but otherwise yes, and it's also practially fool-proof to make.

To make an oven type of thing, just stand the smaller on on a three stones in a triangle inside the larger one... Make sure they will not expolde with heat... Small ones should be ok, i have in the past used three short pices of copper pipe instead, to give me a gap alround the smaller billy inside the bigger one.. Never thought about putting water in as always used water sparingly..

Try it at home see how you get on, could even use some of them blind baking balls you can buy.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
To make an oven type of thing, just stand the smaller on on a three stones in a triangle inside the larger one... Make sure they will not expolde with heat... Small ones should be ok, i have in the past used three short pices of copper pipe instead, to give me a gap alround the smaller billy inside the bigger one.. Never thought about putting water in as always used water sparingly..

Try it at home see how you get on, could even use some of them blind baking balls you can buy.

Yep. Water's not really neccessary. the concept works with any billy but it works best if the outer one's a cast iron dutch oven.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE