Food to take Camping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I've got dutch ovens at home, use on woodburner, but unless I have the car it's too heavy for me to carry, that's why I thought the double billy can idea good as a second one would be handy for brew+food. Was worried about burning without the water.

Just a case of careful management of your fire.

While you're cooking you won't be having a raging fire so most billy cans are ok. But if you're particularly worried about it then use stainless steel ones

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
:eek: Eeek! sorry,I don't eat Kraft! Will take the ingredients though as had forgotton how nice it tastes, may make meself some for supper.

LOL. I'm with you in a way. I way, way prefer home made mac & cheese (with or without a meat added) Only reccomended the packages cause they're so easy (especially on a camping trip) and so many kids grow up eating it that they actually prefer it over the real thing (I'm still trying to figure that out.

But as to taking the ingredients to make your own, how are you planning on keeping the milk fresh? I suppose you could take powdered milk but to make the cheese sauce properly, you really need whole milk and butter.

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
If you like soup-noodle (plus dried veg etc.) keep a lookout for powdered coconut milk which can temper spicey Tom-Yum stock cubes. This is one of my favourites. You can easiy add tuna or salmon from a foil pouch if you don't want to carry tinned fish/meat. You can still buy Beanfeast (textured soya & sauce) in supermarkets near me; the chilli is pretty good considering it's not meat!

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
If you like soup-noodle (plus dried veg etc.) keep a lookout for powdered coconut milk which can temper spicey Tom-Yum stock cubes. This is one of my favourites. You can easiy add tuna or salmon from a foil pouch if you don't want to carry tinned fish/meat. You can still buy Beanfeast (textured soya & sauce) in supermarkets near me; the chilli is pretty good considering it's not meat!

Foil pouches good, had forgot them. Cannot do spicey or chilli or chinese !!! I'm a decided carnivore too ... jerky is always good and billtong, and corned beef. Hate farmed salmon, no muscle or texture or taste, so will stick to the tuna if it's respectably fished. I might have to learn to shoot ... which with my eyesight and deformed hands could be veeeery interesting!

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
cured sausage from lidles is about £3 a piece,keeps fine for a good year and sliced is good in omlette or with noodles.

now theres an idea ,has anyone sugested fresh eggs for a trip that long?

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Dry ice is cheap, and at -80°C is going to keep already frozen food very cold for a long time, as long as your coolbox is very well insulated. I've read of people putting extra polystyrene slabs and corrugated cardboard inside the coolbox, then a slab of dry ice, then the frozen food.

Cook some meat at home, then freeze it, to greatly improve conservation. Just thaw it and eat it cold, or thaw it and then warm it through.

The burns from touching anything at -80°C can be severe, so handle the food with tongs or insulated gloves until it thaws.

If you're tempted to put dry ice granules or chips inside a thermos flask, remember to not cap it tightly! If you do that, the pressure will build up until it either blows the top off, or splits the flask.

Couscous needs no cooking... boil some water (2 volumes of water for 1 volume of couscous), at the same time fry some onions or shallots, pour the water over the couscous and wait for five minutes and it's done. Add the fried onions or shallots, some pre-cooked merguez and pieces of lamb, a squirt of harissa, and you've got couscous royale. A bottle of chilled Gerouanne or Boulaouanne...

Meat can be cooked in its own juices and sealed in a jar at home, and will then keep at ambient temperature for months, if not years, if done right. Just like for jam, the jars must be sterile as must the lids and rubber seals. But a good way to make sure of this is to cook the meat in it's jar, in a pressure cooker. I don't know how easy it is to find things like that in the UK, or what kind of weight you're prepared to haul from your car to your camp, but as an idea four or five duck legs preserved in their own grease in a metal can would weigh around 1200g to 1400g, and I'd guess that in glass it would be 100g or so heavier. It's traditionally more of a winter food, but I love it all year round. The fat is also great for frying onions and mushrooms. Google for recipes to make your own at home (like this, for example). It will take time to track down all the info, because most "recipes" are in fact nothing but ways of serving the already-preserved duck, not of preparing it from raw duck...

Many of the "blogs" and websites I looked at seem to have been advertising written by computer algorithms, endlessly repeating variations on an anecdote seed, and using the American usage of "make" (as in "I made eggs for breakfast"... where I live it's the hens that make them, I just cook them).

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
I tend to buy a lot of things like ready cooked, microwave egg fried rice/ chicken fried rice from Home bargains £0.49p each. Obviously I don't microwave em I stir fry them. They also sell sachets of sauce, 4 for a pound, korma, sweet & sour etc. make a cracking meal, especially the korma, scrummy. BB dates are for ages and don't need fridging. Perfect for me.
(Also posted in another thread)

Hog On Ice

Nomad
Oct 19, 2012
Virginia, USA
I wish I could get corned beef in the same way I get Spam - that is to say a single serving foil pack - however I have never seen the corned beef in a similar package.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Slice some and vacuum pack it? Should last several days that way before spoiling. I find a 12oz can perfect for me and my lad for a sandwich each or corned beef stew :)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Our corned beef doesn't slice Rik. It's shredded and packed into the cans. It usually just crumbles if you try to slice it. I have managed to slice it if I refrigerated it first but ir's not easy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE