Food to take Camping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Coo, what a great thread, Elen!

You wait till you get that pressure cooker, gel! I love to take a smoked hock along on a week long glamp (usually vehicle based), you can buy them vacuum packed for about £1.50 at farmers markets here and they keep really well as a cold cut or stir fry addition, very tasty so you can use less :) And only takes about 35min in the pressure cooker :) I *think I heard of way of vacuum packing in them? Maybe using special plastic, I wonder if it was some kind of trick with freezer bags/ similar... :rolleyes: pinterest search ahoy ;)

What brilliant ideas from everyone, I never thought of lining a food box but always freeze everything I can for a longish trip, I find it keeps really well as a freezer block and meat is perfect as you can jerky it easiest when its crystaline, the long slow defrost is ideal :) You have to watch freezer burn on any fresh foods in there too, stir frys are brilliant. I sometimes take a vacuum packed smoked fish for adding to steamed veg in a foil wrap, that keeps in summer weather (we'll keep our fingers crossed for you on that one ;) )

Echoing the thoughts on trail mix etc, its wonderful- you can add it to your damper, swirl it on for a sweet loaf, add to porridge if you can stand the thought of cleaning the pan ;) or add to oats as a muesli or flapjack base. And oats are cholesterol good guys, bonus! I thicken gravies/ cooking juices with them too.

On the foraging front, I'm loving this lasses pages on facebook.... and if you do go all techno with the dry ice, you can make frozen bananas which are incredible smothered in nutella :)

Elen Sentier

Coo, what a great thread, Elen! ... :)

Pressure cooker has to go on back burner for now (pun intended!) as we spent a lot of money on something special, but am looking fwd to it IDC. I want a dutch oven for bread-making (etc) as well out in the woods. There's a couple of folks at our farmers' markets who do very good pig-meat and sausages, also got good lamb and beef at the markets too. One of them is a mate and has his own vacuum pack machine for his meat and will let me use it. Am going to get a dryer IDC when I've saved up again :)

Oats is good, and all variations on trail mix (homemdae in my case). And I hope to have a go at bannock-on-a-stick this w/end. And the overnighted porridge, in boiling water the night before then boil up next morning.

I like Carol's FB page too :)

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
I got my dutchies from fleabay- the buyer had buy it nows or an occasional auction so I waited for one of them and got a 4.5l inc P&P for just over £20.... bargain... unfortunately I can't remember the seller :) You have to watch the size compatability with some ranges, I don't think my cheapy sits as well on the ronnie sunshine pattern ones. Freecycle or fleabay for the pressure cooker too, check the seals, the safety is loose and the weight can be pushed up before you get her under pressure though, I raised it with water in and me out of the room the first time, they don't take prisioners!!

I forgot to say, heavyduty kitchen foil wraps of veg with protein leftovers and a sprinkle of seasonings/ mustard sachet etc are lovely popped onto the grill or into the ember edge for 10-20min :) Those toasty silicone bags turn a nice quick snack too, they're better not in open fire though, they're not quite as indestrucable as it says on the tin ;)

Last edited:

Elen Sentier

When the money gets together again I'll be looking aorund on fleabay for a dutchy. Our local freecycle has been useless so far, nobody has one of either they don't want :). And I worry about seals for pressure cookers with 2nd hand.

Have to make sure there's petrol money for North Wood, and I'm bringing bread.

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
I don't *think I've heard of any dutchies for sale in the group but it might be worth offering swaps on the regulars Bushy Boot thread? You might get lucky! :) Especially when they see your knitty skills ;) Woolen garments go down a treat with the lads :)

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Would like advice on what to take to cook & eat for a week's wild camping in June of next year.. I will have a base camp but will be away from the car. I can carry stuff from car to base camp. I eat quie a lot of mea and love cooking it on a camp fire; like cheese, fruit, veg. I loathe pre-packaged/dried stuff, but like jerky. Want stuff that will keep OK and am thinking of taking cooked meat as well as fresh. I can't hunt or fish.

All advice/ideas welome.

Take bannock/non levened bread ingredients and bake some with the fire.

Would like advice on what to take to cook & eat for a week's wild camping in June of next year.. I will have a base camp but will be away from the car. I can carry stuff from car to base camp. I eat quie a lot of mea and love cooking it on a camp fire; like cheese, fruit, veg. I loathe pre-packaged/dried stuff, but like jerky. Want stuff that will keep OK and am thinking of taking cooked meat as well as fresh. I can't hunt or fish.

All advice/ideas welome.
Beer. Lots of beer. And some biltong.

Elen Sentier

I know I'm late, but I hope I'm not soo late as to be unforgivable (did that make sense?:rolleyes:)
Anyway, in regards to bringing meat, why not get a pet rabbit or ten? live meat doesn't spoil :D. While you're at it, take a hen too (like was said earlier) and a dairy cow. Meat eggs and milk! no chance of spoilage! and you can get the cow to carry your stuff as well!

or you could take hunting rights to wherever you're going, if you don't feel like carrying a farm

:lmao: I can just see me trekking off with the farmyard - make a great video !!! Particularly like the cow-transport system :rolleyes::D

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
When the money gets together again I'll be looking aorund on fleabay for a dutchy. Our local freecycle has been useless so far, nobody has one of either they don't want :). And I worry about seals for pressure cookers with 2nd hand.

Have to make sure there's petrol money for North Wood, and I'm bringing bread.

If the seal goes you loose pressure, the stove won't 'work'. New ones start at a fiver.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi Elen,Don't know if you like yogurt? If you do and you want something for long term camping then this may be of use, makes yogurt from water and sealed powder sachets. all you need is boiling water to incubate the culture, all done in a contained capsule. Cheaper than a lot of bought yogurts to and it does taste very nice. :p LINK and LINK II hope it's of interest. GB

Elen Sentier

Hi Elen,Don't know if you like yogurt? If you do and you want something for long term camping then this may be of use, makes yogurt from water and sealed powder sachets. all you need is boiling water to incubate the culture, all done in a contained capsule. Cheaper than a lot of bought yogurts to and it does taste very nice. :p LINK and LINK II hope it's of interest. GB

Interesting and they do organic.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I like the thought of dairy that you can eat on it's own, on cereal or as a spread that doesn't need refridgeration.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
First time I went solo wild camping with almost no research into it beforehand I just took water and five packets of pork scratchings!! Living the highlife!

well at least the water took away the thirst of the salt.

if your carrying far or without re supply

Stuffing, Dried onion, bacon, atora suet.
Corned beef hash
any meat that is vacuum sealed like bacon(smoked not salted), steak,
cheese (not too much)
nuts (any, unsalted)
tins of stewed steak and or kidney
rasins and dried fruit.
Pasta rice couscous noodle packet mixes as snacks only
choccy bars
definatley a few spuds and tinfoil if you have a fire.
A bir of fresh meat for the first 2 nights,

if your static and within easy reach of a coolbox in a car or resupply or are a poacher.

Eat from tins, the fridge/coolbox

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
If you want simple, cheap and filling

vesta-beef-risotto.jpg

One pan meal, costs a quid ideal if your camping on a budget.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE