Fly fishing rod rebuild

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
You were put in at the deep end? Appears that you can swim just fine.
I did up a #9 Fenwick brown glas blank many years ago, in black & yellow.
Your red is a far finer color.
The dang reel seat cost more than the blank!
For the handle, I alternated corks and 1/2" foam neoprene donuts.
Formed that on a belt sander.

Hat's off, sir. I want a cane.

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
The little fly rod is finished , handle clean up and the cane is varnished

attachment.php

attachment.php

Cheers Topknot

Attachments

• IMG_0763.jpg
    IMG_0763.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0768.jpg
    IMG_0768.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 61

greencloud

Forager
Oct 10, 2015
Newcastle
I don't know anything about fly rods (not enough patience to learn yet - and my main quarry require sturdier kit) but that looks very nice indeed.

I imagine your first fish with self-tied fly/ies on that will bring a special kind of smile to your face. Only one way to surpass it now though....

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
Does anyone remember the Apollo Taperflash steel rods??

I had one years ago, Used it for ages but one day I was fishing a pond near Mabelthorpe, gave a cast out and it flippin' snapped!! The tip and Almost all of the middle section went away from me an extraordinary rate of knotts!! :yikes:

Nice rebuilds by the way :cool::cool:

John :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Salmon, Trout & Steelhead Magazine (Pacific Northwest) did a photospread of a 90lb Spring Salmon (aka Chinook) caught and landed on a #10 flyrod. I guess it can be done, like flyfishing for shark.

MarkinLondon

Nomad
May 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
How did the oil get through the varnish? Was it stripped before your soak? I've got an old bamboo back in the States, and find the notion of soaking it interesting.

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Thank you guys for the good feed back on the rod.
I stripped all the old varnish off before soaking. The rod had been standing in an airing cupboard for about 10 years so i was told.

Rob thank for the info on the cloth slip , will have to make one up and then find a bigger tube .

Cheers
Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE