Flies.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Fly's are a pain at the moment - anyone got a good way to lure them to their doom?
Is it honey and vinegar in a jam jar? Honey smeared round the top, with the vinegar in the jar?

The honey attracts the little buggers, they fly in the jar and are overcome by the fumes of the vinegar.... or is that for wasps..... Worth a try.

Or..... get one of these!

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Reactions: TeeDee

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Outside I leave them to the wildlife, we often have wagtails on our roof hooving up the flies and the swallows in the garage are hopefully rearing chicks.

Inside we have and army of Pholcus phalangioides which see to eat just about anything that flies in, was watching one yesterday digest a particularly large horse fly.

Reactions: Toddy and nigelp

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I'm currently testing the old cut off and reversed soda bottle in another soda bottle trick- trying to lure them in with fruit and meat .

They can't be any smarter than fish.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
I have one of the electric tennis racquet ones and it’s ok, the last one I had gave a much more violent crack though.

I did once try to clear a stuck fly and made contact with the mesh, the shock locked up my arm like a taser!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I just don't let them have free access.
I use screens at the open door.....and an old fashioned fly swat is kept handy beside the boot rack at the back door if they do manage to slip in.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I second Toddy with the fly screen idea, I use fly screen curtains on my back door, as when I'm home it's usually open most of the time in summer. I got mine from aldi, I think liddel do them too. Easy to put up, and keeps flies out. I also have net curtains over my windows, so that keeps them out of any open windows.
I still occasionally get the odd fly, but a rolled up newspaper works on that sneaker blighter!!!

Reactions: Toddy

gibson 175

Apr 9, 2022
West Yorkshire
I'm currently testing the old cut off and reversed soda bottle in another soda bottle trick- trying to lure them in with fruit and meat .

They can't be any smarter than fish.
I suspect that may only attract further flies rather than killing off the existing flies...you will have lots of dead flies in your trap but that won't solve your problem . You may end up with a bigger problem. One of the problems is that with temperatures over about 20 degrees they reproduce in about 7 days whereas in lower winter temperatures they reproduce only after many weeks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Toddy and TeeDee

gibson 175

Apr 9, 2022
West Yorkshire
I second Toddy with the fly screen idea, I use fly screen curtains on my back door, as when I'm home it's usually open most of the time in summer. I got mine from aldi, I think liddel do them too. Easy to put up, and keeps flies out. I also have net curtains over my windows, so that keeps them out of any open windows.
I still occasionally get the odd fly, but a rolled up newspaper works on that sneaker blighter!!!
Much better...it's about managing the problem and using an integrated approach

Reactions: Toddy

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I read somewhere that hanging bunches of rosemary or mint near the dooway deters flies as they don't like the smell. I tried it and it didn't work for long and became ineffective when the herbs dried.
Your post triggered a memory for me - doesn't food for free mention Tansy as being a Fly deterrent?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE