Fishing with a pen rod - complete beginner.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Check the legality of taking the fish. Not sure how it works in a canal. But as for kit.... that is all you need.

Always worth a cheeky crab line in a canal to see if you can score with an american cray fish (just get yoir ID correct)

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk 2

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Infact you have inspired me... I am going to go put my "pocket kit" back together

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk 2

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
carp are common in canals as are pike and in some canals zander. The pen rods can handle fish up to 8lbs if you play them right although youd do better to target the smaller species unless you beef your line up, they tend to come with 4lb line. If you fancy the fun of pike you can get some spinners/plugs but i would beef the line up to 8lb and use a 15lb wire trace and make sure you can set the drag so that you dont get snapped up so easy. Perch will also take small spinners and jelly jigs but a float and a juicy worm will score well too. This type of outfit would suit general fishing for smaller species better though with a float and a few maggots. Rod license is a must as well as a canal pass or day ticket, taking fish will be frowned upon apart from zander as youd be doing the system a favour.

rg598

Native
This set up will work fine for you for any small fish. It is probably one of the better ones when it comes to pen fishing rods because it uses an actual spinning reel rather than the tiny bait casting reel most of them use. Get some 4 lb line spooled on to it, get some lures (spinners and spoons work well on a wide range of small fish), and go for it. I don't know why they call it a carp kit, but with this rod and reel, 4 lb line, and a small rooster tail spinner (lure), you can go after any type of small fish, from trout to perch.

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
No sadly but it is something I intend to pick up shortly

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
You know it makes sense :)

I'm interested on any opinions on the "penfishingrod.com" version (only) as they seem to be the best and I fancy one. Is that the one you have? If so did you buy it from the US or is there a UK distributer that you know of, I can't find one?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE