First swallow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I see swallows every morning, so no sign of spring for me! :D

swallow-1.png

(sorry for bad pic, they look very much more vivid in real life, not so red either, kinda new in the pic..)

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
It always lifts my spirits to see the first one of the year, summer is on they way!

They haven't arrived here yet so far as I know, but I will be on the look out now!

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Much as I enjoy seeing them about,
This year I will keep my garage shut tight while they are looking for nest sites. Last year they cr*pped over loads of stuff in there whilst raising their three broods - no matter what I put in place to catch, offset or otherwise divert it:yuck:

Ogri the trog

basha

Forager
Aug 9, 2006
kent
I've just been sitting in my garden this evening looking in the cool mist and listening to the birds then caught sight of a pair of swallows going in the opposite direction to when I last saw them in October; they are coming back, fantastic....

THE FIRST SWALLOW
Charlotte Smith [1749-1806]

The gorse is yellow on the heath,
The banks with speedwell flowers are gay,
The oaks are budding, and, beneath,
The hawthorn soon will bear the wreath,
The silver wreath, of May.

The welcome guest of settled Spring,
The swallow, too, has come at last;
Just at sunset, when thrushes sing,
I saw her dash with rapid wing,
And hailed her as she passed.

Come, summer visitant, attach
To my reed roof your nest of clay,
And let my ear your music catch,
Low twittering underneath the thatch
At the gray dawn of day.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Not seen any swallows yet, at least I don't think I have. I saw a lot of birds whilst driving South on the M1 towards Silkstone on Friday, many were quite obviously kestrels as they were hovering above the verges, but I did see some very fast moving birds but didn't have the option to watch them as I was driving along at 70 mph!

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Meant to say,
I saw one on the telephone line across the road from the house last thursday, that would have been the 17th April :eek:

ATB

Ogri the trog

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
Saw the first one last thursday evening at the farm were we keep our pony, just waiting now to see how long it takes its mates to arrive.

I saw my first hirundine last Sunday, 13th, whilst sitting outside my local (4 miles away), not sure exactly what it was, whether swallow or house martin, as it was well up and it was only by flight habit that I identified it at all!
Whilst working on the Landy on thursday I heard a swallow- like twitter but by the time I got to look, there was nothing to be seen.
Ah well not to worry there'll be more along soon!!

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
saw house martins on friday when I was going out. Unfortunately the ones that nest on our house have some DIY to do as a chunk one of the nest broke off during the winter.

I will have to take some pictures this year.:thinkerg:

basha

Forager
Aug 9, 2006
kent
It was the 19th April last year (2008) when I saw my first Swallow of the year……In late September I had the fantastic sight of (tens of ?) thousands of Swallows massing in the skies above the fields of Appledore in Kent, late in the afternoon/early evening. My friend and I watched them swirling in the sky before they melted away southwards in large groups….a beautiful and poignant sight.

It is now the 4th April 2009 and again, whilst sitting in my garden enjoying the cool Spring evening and the colours of the flowering plants I am lucky enough to have, I looked up to see a solitary Swallow flying northwards….it really lifted my spirits…

jabbadahut

Mar 15, 2009
uk
www.8thcolour.co.uk
The farmer whom i keep my horse with remarked on the weekend that he has'nt seen any yet this year.
Out driving along a b road today a swallow came swooshing down and around and then was gone in the blink of an eye,
my first this year.

Soloman

Settler
Aug 12, 2007
Scotland
A much more acute gauge to summers start here in scotland is the loch chon a/t factor.
That is how many abandoned tents on the shore,and at the weekend i saw the first one.
I think loch lomond has a better scale as its even closer to glasgow.
Soloman.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE