fire plough intro

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

judojim

Nov 8, 2012
East Yorks
iv been watching this forum for a while, i'm new to the posting business and this is probably the wrong place. iv just had success with fire plough two of us taking turns, what a buz when we got an ember. :):):)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Congratulations Jim,
It's a really good feeling when you achieve that first ember so you must be chuffed. Did you continue on with the ember and take it to full flame?
What woods were you using? It can be quite baffeling figureimg out what works with what.
Well done again, no stopping you now.
ATB,
GB.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

judojim

Nov 8, 2012
East Yorks
Thank you. Yes , i took it through to flame with cat tail seed and dry grass, Hearth was lime and clematis stick, just need to build up stamina for solo attempt.

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
Welcome to the forum!! Fire plough is one iv never got round to doing! If you can get hold of some bamboo, the fire saw is a similar method and also quite tiring!!

judojim

Nov 8, 2012
East Yorks
Not my first friction fire, I'm fairly proficient with hand drill, had success this week with mugwort on lime😃😃
Which is good because I can't find clematis in Yorkshire

judojim

Nov 8, 2012
East Yorks
Well done not had much success with fire plough.

attachment.php
Thank you, its taken a bit of doing but glad it can be done with English woods.

judojim

Nov 8, 2012
East Yorks
Would a hazel stick work on a lime board? I'm ehttp://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1695101nvisioning a plough board with the top used for bow drill!

I cant see why hazel on lime would not work, ive just had the break through myself but will be trying different combinations.
The main thing is to keep trying and you will get there.:)

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
Also does a fatter stick work better or a thinner one? I know for bow drills you want to aim for a drill about the same width as your middle finger, but is it the same for the plough?

judojim

Nov 8, 2012
East Yorks
Also does a fatter stick work better or a thinner one? I know for bow drills you want to aim for a drill about the same width as your middle finger, but is it the same for the plough?

the stick wants to be comfortable in your hand and the business end pared to 12mm thick x 25mm long at about 45 degrees.
i've attached a picture of the one i had success with
051115 003.jpg

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
solo success with fire plough:):) a nice big ember, will post photo when i work out how to upload

Not sure exactly but I think you'll need to have a minimum number of posts before you can upload things. I think it's ten but welcome correction on that.

Oh - and well done!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE