Fine oatmeal?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Yeah, I must admit its the sort of thing I'd pick up if I saw one on a boot, I am a bit of a victim. That and a one or two quart glass butter churned . Somehow I've never acquired one.

I have ended up with 5 or 6 mortars and pestles of various sizes, only two of which I have kept for food use. Thankfully there's always some in charity shops as they want silly money for the big Mason Cash ones I like.

Another thing I thought I'd got but it turns out it was just something similar is a proper pottery batter jug. The TG Green one I got is almost as wide , for whisking in, but it's not a batter jug.

Off to cook herselfs belated haggis and neeps as we couldn't do it on the night.

ATB

Tom

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you lived nearer you could have the batter jug that has been relegated to the greenhouse :rolleyes:

I just don't make enough these days and it's easier in a wee bowl.

atb,
M

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers for the thought anyroad! :)

Herself has phoned them and 4kg is being sent to us. Technically it only has a shelf life of 4 months which stopped herself going rogue and buying a sack!

So the girdle will be getting some hammer by the end of the week! The nets full of regional variations on soft oatcakes but if any one has a particular favourite I'd love to hear the recipe!

not having a open fire in use at the moment I'm wondering hoe best to dry the havercake s.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Oddly enough I do have the other sort, a nice still in its box 1950s job bought as a joke for herself, long before she would possibly need one. If it ever resurfaces I will probably get beaten to death with it....

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Heres the girdle in action, no not that one, this one

Girdle_zps9b5b8737.jpg

At the inlaws cottage half way up Sugarloaf Mountain, making Whelsh cakes aptly enough.

ATb

Tom

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Fine oatmeal is available in Amazon groceries... and Amazon dispatched stuff is delivered free with super saver.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
After a slight delay, My Hermes had just dropped off a endearingly recycled box containing 4kg of Aberfeldy Fine Oatmeal!
Herslf isn't back from training in London until tomorrow night so I won break out the girdle today.

atb

tom

image_zps721584de.jpg

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi Tom,

Not the cheapest but where I get my oats (Oooerr misses!) as they grow them just down the road from me. Gloagburn Farms Shop. Lovely oats, make great oatcakes, coatings and stews (pop some oatflakes in mince to make it go further and give a slightly nutty taste:p)

Good luck.

PS A wee Doric rap in honour of the humble OAT!

[video=youtube;9gLC4h0_C1Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gLC4h0_C1Q[/video]

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm away to put the kettle on :rolleyes: and I've been really good trying not to let the munchies win, but ....yeah, oatcakes and cheese.....wee bit chutney to hold it all thegither...aye :D

M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I'm away to put the kettle on :rolleyes: and I've been really good trying not to let the munchies win, but ....yeah, oatcakes and cheese.....wee bit chutney to hold it all thegither...aye :D

M

Glad to see that "will of iron" still holding out there!;) Just better no have a swatch at the auld fave "Nae Mince in Moray" or you'll be breaking yer vows come tea-time!
[video=youtube;jP9BtScBQaI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP9BtScBQaI[/video]

Have you been up to Gloagburn Toddy? Some braw baking and as I say the oats are grown on farm.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Herself loves those little hard oatcakes but I was too long in or near Stoke with no money not to live on the big floppy Staffordshire jobs. Two streets from where I lived in Tunstall was a old school oatcake shop, not a big fancy one in the shopping streets but a middle terrace with the front room turned into a kitchen with the big iron plate they were cooked on serving as the counter. Even back then it was only open for a few hours every other day but they would still be hot by the time you got home.

I am now so hungry I can hear my own stomach digesting itself....

Off to find something to scoff.

ATB

Tom

Aye that Gloagburn place looks grand, I could blow a lot of money there!

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
This thread is lethal to my attempts to diet :eek:

I scranned the oatcakes, with a bit of homemade apricot chutney and some Mull of Kintyre mature cheddar....yeah, food of the gods, and now I'm wanting my dinner already too :sigh:

No, I havnae been to Gloagburn, Colin. Sounds like a good stop on a jaunt out someday though :)

Shops like those used to be common, and now H&S and the taxes stiffle them before they even get beyond a thought :(
Used to be one up a close in Bellshill. Only open at lunchtime, and you got whatever the man had cooked that day. No choice, just something like soup and bread and butter, or mince and tatties and whatever green he'd bought from the greengrocer's. He cooked cabbage that made you want a bowlful of it on it's own :) just plain simple really tasty food, and none of the additives and hype and freezered this that and the other.
Dishes washed in a sink, not a dishwasher; dishcloots hung to dry on the winterdyke in front of the coal fire that heated the room. Children were sat on Mum's knee and fed tidily, none of this throwing food around everywhere for someone else to clean up behind. Tables cleaned off with a cloot washed out in bleachy water and dried with a clean one. None of those thrice damned 'catering cleaning sprays' that leave everything sticky and somehow feeling anything but clean. No one got food poisoning either, and there was never anything leftover.
Ah, but, it's not 'modern', it's not 'hygienic', yet I honestly think that someone prepared to put a wee bit of elbow grease into the cleaning instead of spray/wipe, and a decent sense of pride in keeping things in good order beats the soulessness of plasticky modern catering hands down.

Okay, rant over :eek:......off to peel the spuds :)

M

Does any supermarket stock fine oatmeal as used to make oatcakes? Tesco and ASDA list medium but I'd rather not have to grind it down some more.

Or if anyone knows where I can get a small sack of the stuff, up to 5 kg, in East Lancs we can go further.

ATB

Tom

I guess you're on about the biscuity ones from the north? I whizz normal oats for my oatcakes (see signature) in my food processor that I aquired from Freegle (was freecycle) and it works a treat.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
With herself on the train North back to civilisation and decent portions I broke out the girdle and mixed up a batch from the havercake receipt online, doubling it up of course as there are 5 of us here.

image_zpsd11878af.jpg

The first one came out a mess so I had to eat it but the next dozen I'm pretty chuffed with! I did let them cool before I stacked them and they are now under a tea towel in the fridge, mainly to stop me covering them in best butter and troughing the lot!

image_zps7ec43023.jpg

tastes right and even, after the first, look right!

Thanks for the input folks!

the next batch I will try drying some for journey rations, maybe with a bit more salt. Also fancy doing the no yeast fermenting them over night method.

atb

Tom

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE