Few newbie questions about tarp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Deano3

Tenderfoot
Jan 1, 2012
Newcastle
Hi all i have been away for a while but i am now wating to go to brockwell woods first and going to book soon but still require a few items, not sure weather to get a tarp or tent ? any sugestions after brockwell woods i want to go to the lakes and do a weekend walk were i stop and wild camp for a night or 2, hopefully proper walks etc set up but no information on this yet,

any suggestions on a decent tarp to buy ? i purchased a cheap ground sheet from pound land but may require a better one and i also need a sleeping bag mat ?

thanks Dean

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
Google DD hammocks they have some good tarps on their site. I use a British army Basha which I bought cheap on eBay. Tents are great but are quite expensive for a light one for backpacking a tarp is cheap and light and can be used with walking poles or sticks to construct a shelter. I would also recommend a goretex bivi bag or similar for lying on the ground you can fit a self inflating mat inside for comfort and insulation from the ground.

Deano3

Tenderfoot
Jan 1, 2012
Newcastle
Thanks a lot for the help guys them tarps do look excellent will have a look about thanks
Dean

does anyone have any sites were they tell you walkes in the lakes and how far etc and walkes were you walk for a day then pitch up and then start again i morning anyone have info on this sort of thing

Spunyarn

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2008
UK
I'm a bit blinkered since the only tarps I've ever used are the British army Olive green poncho, and the current issue DPM basha sheet.

Having spent probably towards 100 nights sleeping under them, and easily over 100 miles carrying them, I can recommend them highly. The Olive green poncho is probably going to be only a few quid, but is pretty heavy by today's standards. The DPM basha sheet is pretty light quite light for military kit, and designed to be big enough for two people, so plenty of room for you and all your kit if using alone.

I'm sure that there are alot of much better models out there, but as far as durability goes, I'd say these will match any higher end civilian tarp. As for weight, I'd expect any tarp you pay good money for, to be significantly lighter.
That's my two penneth anyway.

Good luck

Deano3

Tenderfoot
Jan 1, 2012
Newcastle
yeah i will need one that can have 2 people under it, will the dd tarp get 2 people under ? the 1.8 by 2.8m one ? and is it a highly recomended tarp ?

do most people just carry tarp then ground mat and bivvy ? so there is no need for a ground sheet

thanks Dean

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
hi deeno3 if you get one from dd hammocks go for the 3x3m its much more versatile and more than enough room for 2 with kit.
tarp with bivvi and groundmat is all you need like has been said go for a army gortex bivvi bag and a good ground mat to insulate then no need for a ground sheet

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
The only thing I'd say about camping with a tarp on a campsite (not in the wild) is that if you're going to leave camp you'll have to cart all your gear with you - or leave it exposed under your tarp. A zipped tent may not offer that much actual security but it does offer a psychological barrier enabling you to stash your gear.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
The only thing I'd say about camping with a tarp on a campsite (not in the wild) is that if you're going to leave camp you'll have to cart all your gear with you - or leave it exposed under your tarp. A zipped tent may not offer that much actual security but it does offer a psychological barrier enabling you to stash your gear.

I have had that problem in France where one is 'encouraged' to make use of the municipal camp sites, It is possible to use a different tarp configuration, to secure your gear a bit more, it helps if you have some walking poles. Otherwise travel lighter and take most of your gear with you.

Harb505

Forager
Nov 22, 2011
Lincolnshire
yeah i will need one that can have 2 people under it, will the dd tarp get 2 people under ? the 1.8 by 2.8m one ? and is it a highly recomended tarp ?

do most people just carry tarp then ground mat and bivvy ? so there is no need for a ground sheet

thanks Dean
After My friens tarp ripped to pieces earlier this year during a trip to Snowdonia we both crammed under my DD solo 2.8 x 1.8 which was hunkered down on one side due to strong winds and rain. We both just managed to cram under but had to leave our bags out in the rain under their rain covers.
In better weather when the tarp can be raised it provides cover for two people and kit but if I were you I would go for the DD 3m x 3m tarp just in case of wind driven rain and for general comfort, It doesn't take up much more room and hardly adds any extra weight. If it's a two man tent your after I'd take a look at the Vango Banshee of a couple fo Gelert Solo's.

Deano3

Tenderfoot
Jan 1, 2012
Newcastle
never even thought about needing somewere to store belongings in on a camp site, think i will go for a tent maybe vango banshee until i get more used to camping and start wild camping which is what i eventually want to be able to do but want to get used to it first and go hiking in the lakes and think tent will be better for me at first,

any one got any 2 person tens to recomend really like the vangoo banshee but struggling to find a pic of it in the bag rapped up just to see the size

Thanks Dean

Smith28

Nomad
Nov 26, 2010
South East
never even thought about needing somewere to store belongings in on a camp site, think i will go for a tent maybe vango banshee until i get more used to camping and start wild camping which is what i eventually want to be able to do but want to get used to it first and go hiking in the lakes and think tent will be better for me at first,

any one got any 2 person tens to recomend really like the vangoo banshee but struggling to find a pic of it in the bag rapped up just to see the size

Thanks Dean

Are you looking specifically for a "2 man tent" or a tent for 2 people. Because they are really very different things. ;)

If you want a tent for 2 people, I'd go with a 3 man, unless you're very close with your friend and would highly recommend the Marmot Limelight series, they do 1, 2 and 3 man IIRC. What I went with on my most recent backpacking trip after a LOT of research and it worked wonderfully.

BeerHunter

Tenderfoot
Jul 12, 2012
England
Are you looking specifically for a "2 man tent" or a tent for 2 people. Because they are really very different things. ;)

If you want a tent for 2 people, I'd go with a 3 man, unless you're very close with your friend and would highly recommend the Marmot Limelight series, they do 1, 2 and 3 man IIRC. What I went with on my most recent backpacking trip after a LOT of research and it worked wonderfully.

I second that. Our tent (can;t remember the make) is labelled a 3-man, but is cosy with just the other half and I, and all our clobber. It would be a bit ridiculous to try to fit a 3rd person in too.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I have found that a 3 x 3 DD tarp ok for most weathers even winter, but my personal preferance would be a 3 x 4.5m tapr just alwos you to fold some doors in for the winter and give you more space, I like the idea of the TW tarp with doors and may try one soon.

Smith28

Nomad
Nov 26, 2010
South East
I've just noticed how much the TW tarp weighs :yikes:
Aye, shocking.

As far as tents go, adding to what I said earlier, I would generally (for large backpacking trips with ~70 - 80 litre packs) count your kit as another person.
So 1 person + 1 backpack = 2 man tent. 2 people + 2 backpacks = fit snugly into a 3 man. etc

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
get one off amazon. They're dirt cheap and are actually quite good tarps with plenty of attachment points! I have 3 of them and have never had any problems, they come in a cool camouflage pattern too! :D

Deano3

Tenderfoot
Jan 1, 2012
Newcastle
thanks everone been very helpful i am wanting a tent for 2 people , will the vango banshee 200 hold 2 people and have a little room outside the tent for packs ?

few more questions (sorry lol) i really like the lowe alpine sting rucksack if i purchase a bag like this would it hold a vango banshee and clothes etc and a arctic army sleeping bag which i already own?

just wondering what people carry in there bags ? do u put the sleeping mat outside and tent and bag inside just new so not sure ?

thanks Dean

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE