Few newbie questions about tarp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Smith28

Nomad
Nov 26, 2010
South East
thanks everone been very helpful i am wanting a tent for 2 people , will the vango banshee 200 hold 2 people and have a little room outside the tent for packs ?

few more questions (sorry lol) i really like the lowe alpine sting rucksack if i purchase a bag like this would it hold a vango banshee and clothes etc and a arctic army sleeping bag which i already own?

just wondering what people carry in there bags ? do u put the sleeping mat outside and tent and bag inside just new so not sure ?

thanks Dean
I know people say this a lot but it's really helpful if you find a shop that has tents set up so you can see them, try them out, lie in them and see what you think. Cotswold outdoors was good for that for me. One thing about the banshee 200 that I didn't realise until I got in it was the tapering dimensions, getting slimmer towards the foot end, also the walls cave in which makes it feel very tight, and you don't realise until you're in it from just looking at the dimension diagram. It was one I was considering, and I got in just me and my pack and it was maxed out, but if you're both skinny runts and you're ok having your packs outside under a little tarp or something then it could work. The other thing about the Banshee200 is the vestibule isn't massive at all, probably enough space for boots and a couple other things but I wouldn't say two backpacks.

I would say a 55+20 pack would definitely be big enough for that kit, especially since you've got space on the exterior to lash things if you need to (roll mat, tent if need be). Not sure of the pack size of an arctic sleeping bag though!!

Some threads you might find useful on packing and contents and stuff. I know I did, enough to bookmark them at least. Not the be all and end all, but good starting points for reference.
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/content.php?r=336-The-load-out-a-guide-and-example-(pic-heavy)
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71456&highlight=

capt.dunc

Forager
Oct 11, 2011
dundee
you're in luck, my vango banshee 200 was unpacked for drying

packed size
DSC02359.jpg

pitched size
DSC02352.jpg

porch size (the pole marks where the outer covers)
DSC02353.jpg

inner
DSC02354.jpg

a good little tent, but the inner is a funny shape (coffin shaped down one side and square down the other because of the porch). 2 rectangular carry mats would over lap inside, and that should give you a good idea of the space. i'm 6 foot tall and the tents a bit small for getting changed in or sitting having a cuppa on a rainy day. the inner often touches the outer at the head end and can collect condensation, so i usually use a short stick to keep them apart and create a low vent.
DSC02355.jpg

the dd tarp 3x3, rigged as an A frame
DSC02356.jpg

DSC02358.jpg

a big space just over 6 foot across, but open at the ends and no good with the midge.
if i'm camping for a couple of nights then i often use both bits of kit, so you could look to get a small tarp for a living/storage place and squeeze 2 in the banshee for sleeping or store kit in it when away from camp. with that kind of set up you can decide at the last minute to pull your bedding out and sleep under the stars or not.
all in all a good tent for one, or for two small close friends with a tarp as well.
hope this helps.

Deano3

Tenderfoot
Jan 1, 2012
Newcastle
thanks a lot capt for taking the time to upload pics very usefull to see the pics with the bag so can get the size, think i agree with u may get both and decide when camping if busy or what, really like the small tent though, do u pack it into ur bag or on outside ?

also what is best type of knofe sharpener ?
stone or what ? a small one would be best to take when camping really looking forwad to getting over the lakes
Dean

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i have a banshee 200 and theres no way id sleep 2 in it just room for me and my gear unless the second person is your kid, but it is a very good tent i slept in it in january -3 and although it was covered in ice it was a comfy sleep..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE