"fatwood"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
It sounds like you may have been sold some sort of treated wood rather than fat wood. It should smell like supercharged pine...
Here's an article I wrote on finding fat wood and using it as a tinder with a fire steel.
http://www.truesurvivor.uk/articles/going-beyond-theory/
(The website is on wilderness/spiritual survival but if you scroll down you'll find some good, clear pictures and some info on fat wood...)
If you want to PayPal a couple of pounds postage I'll send you a few chunks of genuine stuff. (That would partially defeat the whole point of that article though!)

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
Just find a piece of pine that's fallen or such. Split it open and take the sappy wood inside. I get best results from getting the wood near the knots.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
It sounds like you may have been sold some sort of treated wood rather than fat wood. It should smell like supercharged pine........

Plus 1 about the smell.

Just find a piece of pine that's fallen or such. Split it open and take the sappy wood inside. I get best results from getting the wood near the knots.

Yep, Best stuff near the knots. But the part that's fallen will ooze out the resin and rot quickly (until it does, it'll still be fairly rich wood) The stump and root will age into lightard (this is the bit you're looking for)

Last edited:

Post Tenebras Lux

Tenderfoot
Sep 18, 2015
Cambridgeshire
Cheers, Steve!

I actually just came back to say I'd tried again and had better luck today. Took instantly.

I appreciate the effort you made with the video nonetheless! Certainly a healthy pile of dust there :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE