Evenk Knot

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
I've been looking around on the internet to try and find a diagram or little animation to show how to tie an evenk knot, I know the knot myself but I'm trying to teach it to someone over the internet which is a little difficult without some sort of visual aid. Anyway, my search came up with nothing so I was hoping one of you would know where I could find a diagram or is there a more common name for the knot which might bring up more relevant results?

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Sometimes I suspect Ray has copyrighted that knot, considering how hard it is to find anything about it outside of his work... ;) Great knot though.

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
Xenitram said:
As far as I know this is just looks like a Falconer's Knot using both hands (I have seen Ray Mears using this one too).

What's the difference between the falconer's and the Evenk? I thought they were both just different methods to end up with the same knot.
I use the falconer's to tie up my hammock because it's easy & you can do it onehanded.

Tom

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Have been tying both methods with my shoelace on the table leb, and i admit they do look pretty similar.

don't think you can call the knot on this page an Evenk knot: http://website.lineone.net/~mark.emery/Evenk.htm
As far as I know this is just looks like a Falconer's Knot using both hands (I have seen Ray Mears using this one too).

That's what I'd call an Evenk. Doesn't seem to slip. Perhaps its the rope you are using.

PhilParry

Nomad
Sep 30, 2005
Milton Keynes, Bucks
ScottC,

There are a couple of knots known as "Evenk" in Ray's Bushcraft book. The best answer, if you want to see the one used for hammocks, is to lay out £5.99 at Woodlore and buy his eco-system DVD. This shows you in detail how to tie the knot in video, rather than pictures. :bluThinki

Not sure that helps you though.....I saw it tied first hand during my fundamental bushcraft course. :D

Phil

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
if you tie the knot with one hand it's a falconers knot.
if you use both it's an evenk knot.

one is used for tieing up reindeer one is used for birds.

Jun 16, 2006
Wakefield, UK
Hi all,

First post and at the risk of telling grandma how to suck eggs (there's probably a thread on here for that!) I thought I would add my tuppence worth (and some pictures if I can work out how) to the evenk/falconer debate. I'm not sure if these knots are evenk knots or otherwise, however after much practising in an upturned chair I can now reliably tie two similar but slightly different quick release knots that I would use with a basha. One slips, the other does not.

Basically, once I have wound a loop round my left hand, pointed to the sky and passed my left hand (with the loop) under the main rope then I can make a non-slip quick release knot by taking a loop from the main rope through the loop in my left hand, then passing a loop from the loose end through the loop from the main rope. NB it is possible to end up with a slipping knot if there is too much tension in the main rope. The main rope needs to be allowed to form kinks as the loose end loops are tightened.

To make a slipping version I point to the sky, pass my left hand (with the loop) under the main rope, then pass another loop from the loose end through the loop in my left hand, then repeat to keep the knot from unravelling. The repeat may be described as stopping the knot from slipping, but I think what is meant is that the knot doesn't unravel. It will still slide along the main rope, unlike the first knot.

Hard to show without pictures but does this sound right? It works for me anyway!

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Hi hairyback! - firstly welcome to BuscraftUK :)

and to answer your question........... who cares if it is right!? - if it works for you then it IS right

hang around here for any time and you will soon learn that there is often more than one way of doing things and every way is valid! heck the more ways I can find to do something the better! ;)

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i think i know what knot you lot are talking about, does the evenk man tie up his raindeer with it and then teach ray how to tye it in one of rays shows
leon

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Most here use it on one end their hootchie/basha/tarp ridge lines, with some sort of tension knot (hitch) on the other end to get the whole line nice and tight.

:D
Ed

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
No but it looks somewhat similar, the evenk knot is tied around a post like a tree.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE