England > France > Belgium (gear test)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

maple

May 19, 2012
uk
Hi all,

I recently invested in a DD travel hammock, Snugpack softie 9 sleeping bag and a Camelbak BFM pack. Well I was invited to some sports shooting in Belgium and thought it was a good excuse to hop on the motorbike and test out the new kit...

With the white cliffs of Dover behind you, you're heading to prime wildcamping territory:

P1010480.jpg

There's no going back now...

image.jpg

Somewhere out there is tonight's accommodation and I'm not seeing any trees :(:

image.jpg

So there aren't any trees in France. I know the DD travel can be used as a bivvy, but there's always a fence post nearby:

P1010492.jpg

Ride through wonderful countryside to Brugge, which is a lovely romantic city with some very tempting hotels :)

P1010510.jpg

On the outskirts of Brugge is hammock Nirvana!!! Now, which trees shall I use?

image.jpg

There was a terrible storm this night and despite falling branches and running water beneath the hammock, it was nice to be hanging about outside. Hammock camping - 1, Tent camping - 0.

P1010523.jpg

So how did the kit cope? The DD travel hammock is superb; well designed, constructed and is manageably light. My only gripe is the waterproof underside which allows its use as a bivvy, can cause sweating on warm nights. Note - if the mosquito net touches your tarp even slightly in the breeze, it will wick into the hammock and won't drain. On the subject of mosquito nets, it keeps everything out apart from curious Moroccan imigrants. :eek:

The softie 9 sleeping bag was a godsend. Probably the best of the synthetic bags I've used. Very warm, plenty of room for my 6'3" frame and insulates even when wet. Due to my own fault setting up my tarp incorrectly one night, I awoke literally drenched but WARM! The bag packs down fairly well but is bulky. Rating -5 comfort, -10 extreme is accurate I imagine.

Camelbak BFM: Heavy, but built like a tank. Very comfortable, 40 litres of useable storage without molle attachments and sensibly arranged compartments with useful detail. Designed for serious use and very capable of it. An excellent 72hr pack with a lifetime guarantee. I'm a big fan!

Conclusion: Sleeping under the stars, riding motorbikes and enjoying European culture is good for the soul. French women will leave you to pay for dinner when you tell them "Chez moi est un hamac dans le foret a cote d'autoroute". :p

Last edited:

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
looks cracking mate! making me well jealous !!!! its been an age since i've road my bike on the continent....

did you already have ideas/areas to wild camp? or did you just rock upto the sevice /park areas and find a secluded spot?

maple

May 19, 2012
uk
looks cracking mate! making me well jealous !!!! its been an age since i've road my bike on the continent....

did you already have ideas/areas to wild camp? or did you just rock upto the sevice /park areas and find a secluded spot?

Riding on the continent is great fun as long as you remember which way to go around roundabouts. However, I don't know what Belgian cars run on, but it clearly isn't petrol - I had a very hard time finding petrol stations before my 130 mile tank range was up.

Spur of the moment, I decided to do the trip at 8pm and I left at 6am the next morning. I had no plan of where to sleep, just did a quick recce before dark each night to find somewhere safe(ish) to spend the night. Fields, beaches, woodland... What seems safe during the evening can quickly become very sketchy at 3am though. Callais had some very unsavoury characters trying to enter the UK illegally. They will also try to enter your backpack or your sleeping bag given the chance!

Well done Mate! And thanks for sharing the pix with us, looks like an excellant trip.

Cheers, if it inspires anybody to get on their bike or outside for the night, it's worth doing! :hammock:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE