Empty flask on a plane

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Can I take an empty flask or water bottle on an international flight in my hand luggage?
Or, say, a Zebra billy can?
An one got an answer on this one?
Cheers Cats.
Chris.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Yes you can, but you might need to demonstrate that it's empty.

PS: My wife usually takes her favourite 600ml Nalgene bottle on flights, and although she takes it through security empty, she then fills it with water before getting on the 'plane.

Last edited:

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Is this a 'fact' do you know ged?
I can't afford any nasty surprises (BcUK arctic trip)
Thanks for getting back to me.
Chris.

nunzionuk

Depends on the Airport/Staff at airport. Its all hit or miss, I've been on a fight a bottle before, proved they was empty, to only have it removed on the fight back (London Luton to Edinburgh) was a cheap sports drink bottle.

Last edited:

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Is this a 'fact' do you know ged?
I can't afford any nasty surprises (BcUK arctic trip)

Yes it's a fact, and yes I know, because my wife flies often, and she always takes her Nalgene bottle with her. :)

Having said that you will most likely be flying with different airlines and definitely on different routes from the ones she uses and they will probably have different rules. Rules which they will no doubt give you to read, and then quite likely ask you to confirm that you have read and understood them.

The security staff at Perpignan told my wife that it was her silly country that made all these silly rules, just after they confiscated a can of liver pate from the guy in the queue in front of her. They said they'd have let him through with a pack of three but not one on its own. Or something equally ridiculous.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Technically you can but if the security staff think it's a problem then it's a problem. They're not always 100% correct. That said, I don't think you'd have a problem with an empty bottle

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
The last time I came back through Canada there was a sign in the queing area for security checks that said something like: "Flasks must be removed from hand luggage and disposed of in the containers provided" ...

I thought it odd that flasks specifically were being targetted. Though I did see people taking empty water bottles through and filling them up from the drinking fountain the other side :dunno:

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
check with the individual airlines so there is no mistake every time i go to an airport i always get pulled for a search must be my face regards dave:lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE