Egg Thief.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
There was a story on my Google homepage news page about a fox rolling an egg along this week. Either a UK national or local newspaper article. Not local to me possibly Nottingham news rag as I've been getting a lot of those come up for some reason.

The egg rolling must be a technique they have for both fun and breaking it reasons. I'm a firm believer that we're not at all unusual for doing things just for fun. I've seen mammals and birds do things that have no purpose I could see other than for lolz. My fave was ravens trolling paragliding by gliding upside down scratching the wing with their talons. No camera at the time.

Reactions: TeeDee

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
There was a story on my Google homepage news page about a fox rolling an egg along this week. Either a UK national or local newspaper article. Not local to me possibly Nottingham news rag as I've been getting a lot of those come up for some reason.

The egg rolling must be a technique they have for both fun and breaking it reasons. I'm a firm believer that we're not at all unusual for doing things just for fun. I've seen mammals and birds do things that have no purpose I could see other than for lolz. My fave was ravens trolling paragliding by gliding upside down scratching the wing with their talons. No camera at the time.

I would suggest it's trying to get it back to it's nest / home to eat it in peace because it can't pick it up and run.!

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France

One of the great joys of my life is sitting on the loggia of our apartment watching the newly fledged swallows and swifts showing off their new skills to one another as they fly up and do the street. They fly for the sheer joy of it like kids in a skateboard park.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I must admit I was wondering WHY it was rolling it but as you've suggested I guess it must be for reasons of finding something hard to break it open upon.

The Stoat only has a little mouth and I guess its akin to us trying to bite into a hard beach ball.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Agree with the above comments.

What sort of egg was it? Looks like an ordinary hen's egg, but hard to judge size from photo.

Not entirely sure. - Definitely a chicken egg size but was more green/blue than that photo makes clear.

Location is a strip of hillside woodland just below a Golf course with no obvious ponds close by or any significant avian presence.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Looks like a pheasant egg, many of the young pheasant hens will just drop an egg whilst wondering about. I've found several around our place.

Reactions: oldtimer

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE