Yew Wood Chippings

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 28, 2007
Biggleswade
Hello,
I have accepted a massive pile of yew wood chippings with the intention of spreading it along a well used path through my woodland. I am aware of the toxic properties of yew but thought that was limited to leafy parts and seeds of fruit. I am being told a splinter of the wood in someones foot could cause a heart attack. Is this a genuine concern? I figured the layer of chip would get covered by leaf fall and toxins leech out through rain fall too. minimizing risk. its not cutlery but folk do walk about barefoot in the summer any thoughts/ knowledge would be appreciated before i have to barrow it away to a less used corner of the woodland. x

Watch-keeper

Life Member
Sep 3, 2013
London
There is a very, very sad story in the news, linked below.
Not entirely relevant but worth taking note, as far as i know all of the parts of yew are poisonous apart from the red part of the berry, unfortunately the seeds are contained in the berry and are poisonous.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Hello,
I have accepted a massive pile of yew wood chippings with the intention of spreading it along a well used path through my woodland. I am aware of the toxic properties of yew but thought that was limited to leafy parts and seeds of fruit. I am being told a splinter of the wood in someones foot could cause a heart attack. Is this a genuine concern? I figured the layer of chip would get covered by leaf fall and toxins leech out through rain fall too. minimizing risk. its not cutlery but folk do walk about barefoot in the summer any thoughts/ knowledge would be appreciated before i have to barrow it away to a less used corner of the woodland. x

I very much doubt that is true TBH otherwise there would have been a lot of 'death by splinters' from Yew bows over the years. I have a Yew walking stick and I'm confident I wouldn't die from a splinter from it.

Bear in mind that some people could die from a reaction to many fairly innocuous natural things such as plants, fungi, and insects.

Having said all that (without liability :)) - only you can really decide. Have a look at this to see if it helps you make up your mind:

P.S. - you do have public liability insurance in your wood don't you?

Reactions: Toddy

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
I can imagine the Russian secret service sneaking around putting yew sawdust in dissidents' dinners!

• Haha
Reactions: Toddy

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
There is a very, very sad story in the news, linked below.
Not entirely relevant but worth taking note, as far as i know all of the parts of yew are poisonous apart from the red part of the berry, unfortunately the seeds are contained in the berry and are poisonous.

That's a sad story and the fact that most people involved didn't know that Yews were poisonous sows you how much knowledge is getting lost.

I've used Yew for a few different things and never worried about handling it, carving it etc, I'd not want to ingest dust or any other bits of it and i'd not worry about a splinter.
IMO It rots just like any other tree and if its chippings will soon rot away, I'd probably not put it on the path but around general I'd not worry.

GNJC

Forager
Jul 10, 2005
Carms / Sir Gar
Hello,
I've cut lots of yew and guarantee I've had splinters from it or handled it with open cuts and scratches, and... I am still here. However, I have had young stock die from eating it - which is why I've cut a lot of yew... :( (Foxgloves - digitalis - are the main go-to way for lambs to kill themselves...:banghead:)

Edit to add: I can't comment on it in chipping form, but in the round it takes a hell of a long time to rot down.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Made lots of yew bows and no issues. Cherry was the worst from memory.

Yew is so soft it tends to lend better to blades than abrasives so dust isn't usually an issue. I have had a few splinters with no issues other than the usual.

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
It depends on whether you have pets that may ingest it accidentally (perhaps while digging or picking something else up)
Personally I wouldn’t use it in a path because I have dogs, they’re always picking stuff up and it only takes a small amount of taxine to be fatal to one of them. Taxine is present in all parts of the yew including the seeds (except the flesh of the berry)

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Yew berries are proof that the saying about watching what birds eat and then eating that is safe is rubbish as they can eat Yew berries as they do not digest the seed.

Reactions: Ystranc

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
Wild service berries fall into that class of fruit as well, apparently safe if you spit out the pit but probably not worth the risk if you have alternatives.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Wild service berries fall into that class of fruit as well, apparently safe if you spit out the pit but probably not worth the risk if you have alternatives.
Been eating them Saskatoons for quite a while, still kicking maegeris. Actually the taste for the cultivars is ok.

Reactions: Ystranc

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE