eco toilet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Dixon

Forager
May 2, 2006
Cheshire
Hi , i have a plot of land that i am using to practice bushcraft skills on and i was interested in setting up a toilet of some kind, dont fancy the porta loo option would preffer an alternative, any ideas??????

John Dixon

Forager
May 2, 2006
Cheshire
about 10 acres has various water lines and two medium sized ponds and good sized stream.was thinking of something more substantial as it is to be used by groups..

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Hi John,

Have you looked into composting toilets? I'm thinking aboit one on the allotment. Google for it and you will get a few results ;)

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I've got a compost loo in my woods! :)

It's basically a shed on a raised platform, this is a Treebog type of compost loo. The excrement falls to the floor and as it rots down the trees around it absorb the nutrients. In theory at least it should never need emptying, certainly not with the numbers that will use it. ;) All you need to do is make sure that people don't just pee in it (the urine or excess water makes the poo stink) and chuck a couple of handfuls of sawdust down after you go. I've built a screen around the base and stuffed it with straw and leaf litter. The straw/leaves help to wick away the moisture and keep it smelling sweet. I'm going ot transplant some willow to weave a nice screen around it too soon.

thunderboxsm.jpg

John Dixon

Forager
May 2, 2006
Cheshire
I've got a compost loo in my woods! :)

It's basically a shed on a raised platform, this is a Treebog type of compost loo. The excrement falls to the floor and as it rots down the trees around it absorb the nutrients. In theory at least it should never need emptying, certainly not with the numbers that will use it. ;) All you need to do is make sure that people don't just pee in it (the urine or excess water makes the poo stink) and chuck a couple of handfuls of sawdust down after you go. I've built a screen around the base and stuffed it with straw and leaf litter. The straw/leaves help to wick away the moisture and keep it smelling sweet. I'm going ot transplant some willow to weave a nice screen around it too soon.

thunderboxsm.jpg

how deep does the tube go? we have loads of willow arround so could do the willow bed but would need something a little sooner..

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Hi John,

Have you looked into composting toilets? I'm thinking aboit one on the allotment. Google for it and you will get a few results ;)

in my experience, its generally unwise to look into composting toilets... at least until the composting is finished. :eek:

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
how deep does the tube go? we have loads of willow arround so could do the willow bed but would need something a little sooner..

No tube. Basically there are 4 posts to support the cubicle, with chicken wire wrapped around to make a cavity wall. The cavity wall is filled with the wicking material (leaves, straw, reed, etc). The poop lands directly on the ground surface when you first use it. As long as there are lots of trees in close proximity (eg in dense woodland), then there should be enough roots to take away the compost as it rots down, certainly with the amount of use I will put mine too!

I based it on one a friend of mine has as his place. His is not so luxurious though: his base is made from 5 pallets nailed together, with a hole cut in the top one. He has no shelter on top and no screen. It's only him (and occasional visitors) using it but it's doing fine after nearly two years :) Even his doesn't smell ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE