Drawknife advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Leiflet

Nomad
Jun 5, 2013
Devon
Hi peeps,

A bit to my surprise, I've come to the conclusion that I need to get myself a small drawknife. Any suggestions for a good value budget one?

Cheers,
Leif:dancer:

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Or you could get a fully restored very old French drawknife made by Peugeot Ferres (Brothers) that I have for about £23 inc P&P. It'll be very LIKE this one in the pic below.

Drawknife2-1-1.jpg

Leiflet

Nomad
Jun 5, 2013
Devon
Thanks guys. All tasty. Just bought the Mora on ebay (£22.50 inc P&P).

Cheers,
Leif

Last edited:

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I have an English one, can tremember the make, with the small round handles but dont seem to get on too well with them, which is why I went for the Ray Iles. Good secondhand ones on ebay seem to go for silly money nowadays.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I havnt used the mora one yet, what are they like having the handles in line with the blade?

I think they are a bit more comfortable, like a spoke shave. But the bigger blades were designed with the 90 degree handles to ensure you didn't pull a ten inch blade into your stomach or chest, by keeping your elbows towards your hips.

Leiflet

Nomad
Jun 5, 2013
Devon
Changing the subject a little, there is a name for a sort of shavehorse without legs, isn't there. Bodger's board? Or am I making that up? Just I made one a few days ago. Will try to post a pic of it when I get the hang of such stuff. If no one comes up with the proper name, I'm calling it my shaveslug.:fishing:

Cheers,
Leif

Last edited:

reedx

Tenderfoot
Apr 12, 2012
Durham
www.REEDX.net
I've got one of those Mora's and tbh I wasn't too impressed. The blade has a double scandi grind bevel so it's not that easy to control especially with the handles being in line with the blade. Infact are they not usually described as a push knife rather than a draw knife? My Ray Isles is great though.
Colin

Last edited:

Leiflet

Nomad
Jun 5, 2013
Devon
Hm, there's two things I haven't seen before. Wot I've got is similar to the lapshave but using a rope to hold the work in place. Obviously, the end needs bracing against something. In my case, generally the ground. Thanks for your interest. I will get a pic posted sometime, honest.

Cheers,
Leif

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE