Drawknife advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Leiflet

Nomad
Jun 5, 2013
Devon
You have me totaly puzzled

It's nothing really. Just something I knocked up. But it seems to work OK. I just assume that some medieval drunk beat me to the patent. I expect when people see it they'll go, "Oh a fussock todger. They're crap."

Cheers,
Leif:confused:

Leiflet

Nomad
Jun 5, 2013
Devon
Hi, just updating. My Mora 220 arrived today. I didn't have any green wood split to test it on very well. But on the bits and pieces of tat lying around, it certainly does the job. Quite nice bit of shiny swedish steel to add to everything else.

Thanks for the comments. Still no camera to post a pic of my shaving board thingy.

Cheers,
Leif

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
Think I'm a bit late here, sorry, but the Mora isn't really a drawknife as mentioned by someone else it's a push knife. I have one and it's still a handy bit of kit so don't be disappointed. I also have a Mike Abbott drawknife, and would recommend it. It's very versatile and can be used bevel up or down. I also have a Peugeot Ferres that I got from Biker. I use this one mostly for flattening. I've recently sharpened up a nice, small French drawknife. Check it out here: http://holtheathwoodentreen.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/new-tools.html

Leiflet

Nomad
Jun 5, 2013
Devon
Changing the subject a little, there is a name for a sort of shavehorse without legs, isn't there. Bodger's board? Or am I making that up? Just I made one a few days ago. Will try to post a pic of it when I get the hang of such stuff. If no one comes up with the proper name, I'm calling it my shaveslug.

Cheers,
Leif

So Here's some pics. Hope you can make them out. I'm new to this camera. I just found myself wanting to make a shavehorse but lacking time. Hence, subtract all the bits I could live without and this is what I got. One short plank is pretty portable and easy to store.

DSC00023.jpg DSC00024.jpg

The extra holes are to accommodate larger wood. So far, I haven't used them. And here's a picture of my feet to give a notion of what you do with it, in case I'm just spreading more confusion.

DSC00025.jpg

Originally, I had the stops in a "V" at one end to hold the workpiece better. But this seems unnecessary now, and got in the way a bit. So I've stuck them equidistant from where I usually have the rope. So now I can push or pull. I could do a lot to tidy it up and the plank doesn't even need to be as wide as it is. Well, it keeps me out of trouble.

Cheers,
Leif

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE