Dogs - who owns what and how did you choose it?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....ID tag, U.K. law in public places and the easiest way for someone to contact you if needed. .....

Does your law specify what type ID tag? Is it the one that hangs from the collar, like this"

50004845425000-bone-shape-pet-tag-solid-brass-000.ashx

Or the type that get riveted to the collar, like this?

41jA_W9i-8L.jpg

Or is it free to choose?

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I thought being microchipped is enough. No need for collar and tag. We're going with the harness and lead not collar and lead. Probably no collar. Have you heard of Rocco? A puppy found hanging by its collar. Always take your dog's collar off when home from a walk.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Forgot to say, we've got the puppy home and it's totally settled in. Currently flopped on its side asleep. It's playing and jumping around. Found it's own toys out of the stuff we missed picking up.

Character is coming out. Called hazelnut or Hazel the nutter! Appropriate name for a dog owned by someone on a bushcraft site!

Reactions: santaman2000

KenThis

Settler
Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
As well as microchipped I'm pretty sure you need a collar with minimum ID tag in the UK when the dog is in public.
Can't remember what the minimum info is but I think it's name and address.
Mine has my name address and then dogs name and telelephone number on other side.
I think it was a tenner from 'pets at home'.

PS I use harness instead of collar as well, collar is just for ID. but she never wears it unless I'm with her.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
If you are getting one of those spring loaded long leads, do not get one that is to big, rather one that is to small.
The bigger leads /drums have a stronger spring, which puts pressure on the dogs neck.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I'll never get an extendable leads. Being a cyclist who rides mixed use paths such as canal towpaths i strongly believe that they are dangerous in many situations. Indeed on any path.

The only use for them that I think is valid is when in wide open land if your dog cannot be trusted off a lead but you want to give it a run.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The Chessies were microchipped but the workers at the city dog pound were forbidden to use the reader. Huh????
City reg meant a collar and a tag. Had to rivet the tag on the collar, Chessies just rip the split rings to pieces.
They would walk along the heavy wire fences along the grape vines and just scrub off any dangling tags.

Next dogs are going to be regular farm dog mutts.
I want one just to hang out with. Old is OK.
The back yard is about as far as we need to go.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
She's being a funny terrier right now a large squeaky ball. Too big to bite properly so it's rolling around. She gets a good bite on it so it squeaks. Cue terrier shake to kill it. Good working trait i think. Proper dog! Add in the jumping pounce when it rolls away from her.

First time she has played like a puppy. Shame our son has gone to bed, he would be laughing his head off. He has been taking a long time to be ok around the dog. He is too young to be left with dogs at 5yo.

I think more toys are needed.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
You are not kidding! What she has already found and shredded is enough. Before collecting we had a tidy up to remove chewables but she has still found stuff.

What have we let ourselves in for? About 12 years of companionship and fun with 4 legs! I hope!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Don't ever get them started gnawing on your things.
THEY have THEIR toys and that is that.
I'm convinced that dogs do "pack-think" and as long as they believe that you are alpha, all is well.
The "Kongs" got laced with a little smear of bacon fat from time to time.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The alpha leads the pack. The alpha feeds the pack.
The dogs slept on the floor in the bedroom. I'd hide under the covers and they would snorkel around to find me.
Then, I am the first one out the bedroom door. I am the leader.
The dogs understood to follow.

Reactions: Janne

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Does your law specify what type ID tag? Is it the one that hangs from the collar, like this"

50004845425000-bone-shape-pet-tag-solid-brass-000.ashx

Or the type that get riveted to the collar, like this?

41jA_W9i-8L.jpg

Or is it free to choose?

Free to choose what type. IIRC it's the 1992 Dog Control Act, must have collar with tag in public places, name and address of owner. I think you can just have the house number and Post Code. I always have a telephone number for obvious reasons and I have never put the dogs name on a tag, much easier for those with bad intent to call the dog by name!

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Only 9 weeks old but she's not allowed upstairs, indeed we only allow her in two rooms unless we're with her. Not sure if that's right but it's our way.

Right now I've got a sneaking suspicion she's getting possessive about her new toys. She moves her grip on the toy a little bit too close to human hands. I've had the dominance lecture from the vet and I'm starting to believe it. Being a terrier I need to make sure that I assert dominance. I suspect that's down to me because I think she is attaching to me a little bit more than the others. She prefers to sleep by my feet.

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Of course she will get possessive. She is finding her place and pushing boundaries, just like a child does. Take the toy away when you want. Do the same with her food mid meal. Get your child to give her dinner. Little things to remind where they stand.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
What we did when our dogd tried to get mopsy, we slapped them gently on their behind.

We had a nasty situation once where we saw the bitch basically cornering our 6 year old son, he walked close to her food bowl on his way to the fridge.

I grabbed her, put her on her back, shouting loudly all the time.

She never did it again.

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Only 9 weeks old but she's not allowed upstairs, indeed we only allow her in two rooms unless we're with her. Not sure if that's right but it's our way.

Right now I've got a sneaking suspicion she's getting possessive about her new toys. She moves her grip on the toy a little bit too close to human hands. I've had the dominance lecture from the vet and I'm starting to believe it. Being a terrier I need to make sure that I assert dominance. I suspect that's down to me because I think she is attaching to me a little bit more than the others. She prefers to sleep by my feet.

Terriers are bloody clever and manipulative, they'll try any tactic they can to "train" you. And it often works because it's all bundled in cuteness and apparent innocence. Mine will immediately seek attention from my wife if I tell them off for something, and often get a cuddle and positive attention while directing a sly "ha ha, up yours" look in my direction. Stew's right, make firm boundaries.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Establish your alpha pack position right now and don't stop. Some dogs will push forever, bloody little optimists.
The chessies found out soon enough that I was alpha. Needed the odd reminder to toe the line in my pack.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE