Do you 'cook' porridge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Quick question my pedigree chums

My mrs let her guard down the other day and ate porridge that i'd made......now, she claims i cant cook porridge.
wether i'm outdoors or in. all i do is boils some water chuck the oats in and then just let it sit for five minutes off the heat.....ta da, porridge.....yes?....no?

Personal taste. If i'm indoors i'll put cold milk in as i'm eating it. Outdoors i stir some powdered milk in with the oats

I know we've some impressive porridge knowlage on here. So.....can i cook porridge? Is what i make even porridge or just oats in a bowl :lmao:
I should say my mrs boils milk adds oats and then lets it simmer for ages

What'r we sayin folks?

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I boil with milk first, then add water towards the end, and a dash of lyles golden syrup. I know its nit the traditional scottish way, but its what we had when we were kids. Only takes 5 minutes though. [Or you can buy those handy little packs with the lyles in it]

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
You certainly should cook porridge... what you're making by the sounds of it is semi-raw oats in boiling water... I'll eat what your mrs makes from what you've said. Sorry :(

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
You are making porridge and not cakes aren't you? What the devil are you doing considering a spurtle in your porridge? :rolleyes:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
There can be some awful tosh aimed at winding up English folks about Scottish food, hunting organic haggis, never putting water in whisky and deep frying chocy bars.
Porridge can be eaten by just adding a bit of cold water but that's the Calvanistic East Coast way. Probably best simmered in milk for a while to cook the oats through. Then the weirdness begins. Some say it should only be stirred clockwise (anti clockwise lets the Devil in), some add salt :eek: (yuck!), other sugar or a spoon of jam (raspberry or rhubarb is the best). My father was one of the two bowls school. Thick hot porridge with salt in the furthest away bowl with cold milk or cream in the nearer bowl. Use a horn spoon to take the hot porridge from first bowl, dip it into the cold milk and eat.
Cooking the porridge for a while does make it easier to digest, though for speed when away I just let it steep in cold water while I get other things ready. It also means that it doesn't weld itself to the pan like scrambled eggs. Always soak the pan as soon as your done.
We also used to add ( I still do) oats to stews, mince and soups. Adds to the taste and bulks out the meal keeping costs down. Also very good for you.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Hang on, i thought a spurtle was the right and proper tool for porridge stiring for them folk north of the wall?

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
A spurtle is for flipping your cakes or twonking the kids on the head when they get out of hand... you stir porridge with a spoon... and yes, anti-clockwise lets the Devil in!

Only my opinion, but the oats need a time to absorb the juices, those juices should be from a cow and only one sweet product added per serving. If its too hot, man up. If its too cold, heat it up. If its just right, what are you telling anyone else for?

I reckon porridge is like whiskey... everyone has their favourite way of consuming it, but consume too much and you may have to read another page of the newspaper the following morning!! :rolleyes:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I make porridge….and it's stirred with a spurtle :D

Two ways, either from pinhead meal or from rolled oats.

Pinhead meal is soaked overnight in cold water, then it's slowly brought to the boil the next morning and then kept hot and just off the volcanic mud stage for ten minutes or so. I don't add milk, I do add a little salt.
That kind gets served just as is, but with cream or milk to hand to add to it.
Any extra is poured into an ashet and let grow cold, then it's fried up like an oat polenta :) It's very good indeed.

My sons though, lazy blighters that they are, like rolled oats and they like them cooked with some milk added into the water and salt…..and they've discovered that they can do the whole lot in one bowl in the microwave. So we go through more rolled oats than pinhead meal these days.

Me ? I'd rather eat oatcakes :D

M

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
You have to have salt in it!
The salt is there to counteract the way oats are good for your heart ... real men do not eat healthy breakfasts!
Boil the oats in water with salt, serve with full fat milk and sugar OR whipped cream, whisky and black treacle for a real treat!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Best way I've done porridge is to put 45 grams of oats into a soup flask then add 275 grams of boiled milk to it and 2 tea spoons of sugar. Seal it up and give a good shake then head off to work and eat approximately 90 minutes after sealing.

Lovely creamy taste to it :)

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
real men do not eat healthy breakfasts!

I shall respectfully point you to my avatar... when porridge isn't available due to the leaves on the line or the great shortage of 1979, a real breakfast consists of meats, eggs and vegetables fried in a pan of butter with a helping of bread... if thats not available, a chocolate chip Tracker bar must suffice!

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Best way I've done porridge is to put 45 grams of oats into a soup flask then add 275 grams of boiled milk to it and 2 tea spoons of sugar. Seal it up and give a good shake then head off to work and eat approximately 90 minutes after sealing.

Lovely creamy taste to it :)

Exactly, allowing those oats to soak up the cowy goodness! But two teaspoons of sugar? Decedent much!?!

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
Dewi a spurtle is a stirring stick up here.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

+1 yep & traditionally for porridge, for me it has to be "large" rolled oats, with cold water & salt added brought to the boil on a high heat (stirring constantly with a wooden spoon not a spurtle) Remove immediately & eat right away with cold milk & sugar... alternatively I eat it raw like cereal with cold milk & sugar but then its not porridge its poor mans muesli...

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Goatboy, i'm with your dad. I lkke to keep adding a bit of cold milk to the bowl, but i will have two bowls with something like hot apple pie and cream

Toddy, i assume we have rolled oats......i just look for the biggest cheapest bag that says 'porridge' on it :D
Is there anything special about an ashet. Or it just a shallow dish to form the shape?......never even thought of frying it up before, fried porridge does sound like a wind up though eh

Alan, yep i have it raw now and again. Let it soak for 5-10 minutes and add some mixed nuts and raisins

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE