Diggin' Stick

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I decided I can't dig roots with just any ol' stick so I made this one.

Made of ash and about 21" long. Simple project and fun. :)

diggingstick1c.jpg

diggingstick2c.jpg

diggingstick3c.jpg

diggingstick4c.jpg

diggingstick5c.jpg

If I break this one, I still have my old one. :)

olddiggingstick1.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nice, Hoodoo, very nice :D
What's the timber? My favourite one is made from apple. I think a good digging stick is a much under-rated bit of kit.

cheers,
Toddy

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Eric_Methven said:
Are you going to fire harden the working end?

Eric

Probably not. The wood is kiln dried and probably as hard as a baseball bat (er...cricket bat?) already. :)

Toddy, the wood is ash. I forsee a lot more ash being available around here as the emerald ash borer kills more and more of our ash trees. The results so far have been devastating.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
A beautifully executed piece of wood working, Hoodoo. A handsome thing, indeed.

By the way, what would one use the edge that’s ground on the spine of the Fox tool for (as opposed to the primary edge)? An alternative, thinner grind, perhaps? It’s got some interesting geometry, but I just can’t figure out the purposes for all the features of it.

Best regards,
Paul.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
TheGreenMan said:
A beautifully executed piece of wood working, Hoodoo. A handsome thing, indeed.

By the way, what would one use the edge that’s ground on the spine of the Fox tool for (as opposed to the primary edge)? An alternative, thinner grind, perhaps? It’s got some interesting geometry, but I just can’t figure out the purposes for all the features of it.

Best regards,
Paul.

I guess it's to save the main edge if you have to pound on something like bones or something hard to break them. Could also be used to tenderize meat. I suppose it also reduces overall weight. I dunno. Might also be used for scraping. I've never been a big fan of swedges but I suppose they have their place.

More diggin' tools. :)

digging_sticks_small1d.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE