deo meth stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

conall

Tenderfoot
Aug 25, 2009
southampton
Well at long last and thanks to crimbo, I have finally done the tutorial for the meth stove to go with the dog food woodgas stove I promised to do :eek:

2hmo4ds.jpg

Take a matchbox and stanley blade to score around the base of can.

281a9oz.jpg

Mark of where indicated on the can and cut a piece of wood or whatever is handy to score at indicated height.

2ef8ieo.jpg

Make 4 marks at equal lenght round highest score mark and drill 4 6mm holes.

23j3j9s.jpg

Like so.

2eg5xep.jpg

Cut a piece of paper 1 cm off the end of some A4 and make 15 marks along it 10.5mm apart.

2nbd5vp.jpg

Tape the paper 8mm down from the bottom score line and drill 1mm holes where you have marked on the paper (holes should be 8mm down from bottom score line)

rcvubr.jpg

Cut along score lines with a junior hacksaw or keep on scoring with stanley knife until through.

2lvcr4i.jpg

Use a small screwdriver handle in the narrow end and roll the liner form it a bit more funnel like.

1zecl77.jpg

Place the liner inside the stove and press down home until it is flush.

2w2j4o1.jpg

Rub smooth and flat on sandpaper.

1617up.jpg

put around 10ml of meth spirit in it and light (10ml will boil a mug of water, add more to burn for longer.)

2w2f08y.jpg

20 seconds later it's primed and jetting.

io194o.jpg

Pop your billy or kettle on (no need for a pot stand.)

260xrar.jpg

Paint cleaned off and polished (if you want to :))

Hope this has been helpful and thanks for looking:cool:

MickG

Forager
Feb 2, 2009
Blackwood South Wales
Made one a few weeks back almost the same style as yours
Found it easier to make than a coke/drinks can as the taper on the neck made it easier to connect the two together
Your pictures should encourage others to try it
Mick

conall

Tenderfoot
Aug 25, 2009
southampton
It's ally, but because it has the inner wall it makes it nice and sturdy. I have the one I made for the tutorial going spare if anyone wants it?

Aug 12, 2009
Kent, England
I made one, and although it guzzles meths like a... meths-guzzling thing, it was worth it just for the fun of it.
Mine won't heat as well as a trangia though - its very small...
I haven't got a trangia, and I do have one of these!
I recommend making one of these - good for a bit of fun, and smaller than a trangia
Unless you make a really big one...

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
These are a bit of fun to make, but why not just use a Trangia burner?

Apart from the above stove being lighter, simpler to set up, more compact, free and something you can use with pride knowing you made it yourself, no reason at all. :D

Wasn't it you that posted at length about how everyone spent WAY too much money buying all that expensive kit? What could be cheaper than making a stove from an old bottle? ;)

conall,
Nice tutorial! Cheers for sharing :beerchug:

conall

Tenderfoot
Aug 25, 2009
southampton
Thanks for the positive comments guy's. Believe that it's a lot more satisfying if you can make bits of kit yourself, after all that's what you try to do with what nature supplies us with when bushcrafting:rolleyes:

slammer187

Nomad
Jul 11, 2009
Ireland
These are a bit of fun to make, but why not just use a Trangia burner?

Well cost,size,weight and the satisfaction of making it yourself is a big factor but also the boil time on most homemade stoves are a lot faster than a Trangia. Like 4-7 minutes as opposed to 11+ minutes. Also you can makes far more efficient home made stoves!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Apart from the above stove being lighter, simpler to set up, more compact, free and something you can use with pride knowing you made it yourself, no reason at all. :D

Wasn't it you that posted at length about how everyone spent WAY too much money buying all that expensive kit? What could be cheaper than making a stove from an old bottle? ;)

conall,
Nice tutorial! Cheers for sharing :beerchug:

Trangia burners cost about a fiver, not likley to break the bank now is it :lmao: Happy xmas Chris;)

BushEd

Nomad
Aug 24, 2009
Herts./Finland
do you still have this one going as you said before? I've made a pop drink, Wayland-esque stove, but don't have a drill to make this one. looks very neat :D

Dec 20, 2009
Groningen
I liked the 'anti stress' sign on the can, it would have been burnt away anyway, but it was a funny sign to have on a piece of kit.
Nice Burner btw!

conall

Tenderfoot
Aug 25, 2009
southampton
do you still have this one going as you said before? I've made a pop drink, Wayland-esque stove, but don't have a drill to make this one. looks very neat :D
Hey Ed, posted stove off yesterday so hoping it will get to you in one piece and not get squished by the post office! hope you have fun with it :goodluck:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE