Denatured Acohol=Meths?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
IIRC: Denatured alcohol (base componant is Ethanol) has a bit of methanol in it - so don't get any ideas about drinking it. Read that: Poison.

Bitrex (supposedly the most bitter thing known to man, though I reckon my mum could give it a run for it's money lol) is also added to make it unpaletable.

Pure Ethanol, on the other hand, is a merry old brew.

Remember the bit about Bitrex for the next time you are in the pub. It's in the Guiness Book of Records, apparently, (Bitrex that is, not my mum). :D

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
redcollective said:
IIRC: Pure Ethanol, on the other hand, is a merry old brew.

(Bitrex that is, not my mum). :D

"Pure Ethanol" or absolute alcohol, which is distilled in a special way to remove all the water, usually contains traces of Benzene - which is highly toxic. I wouldn’t drink any alcohol that is not expressly intended for human consumption. And I speak as a dedicated drunkard.

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
It's worth noting that all the Vargo stoves NEED to have a wraparound Alloy foil windscreen, with air intake vents at the bottom.

They simply do not draw enough air without one and burn cool, so that the fuel does not combust properly.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
bogflogger said:
It's worth noting that all the Vargo stoves NEED to have a wraparound Alloy foil windscreen, with air intake vents at the bottom.

They simply do not draw enough air without one and burn cool, so that the fuel does not combust properly.

BF, dont suppose you have a crusader cooker unit do you? If you do, can you say if the triad will fit into the crusaders fuel well? If it does, how does the crusaders windshield make the triad perform?

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
Thanks chaps-it looks like the screen thing could be the solution.
I had the thing set up in the kitchen and it was plain crap. The flame would not transfer over to the edge holes and I couldn't see what was wrong.

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
Sorry Martyn, I don't have a Crusader base, but I can give you the dimensions of the Triad:

Overall Diameter: 65mm (including one leg boss).

Diameter: 60mm

Height: 25mm

Weight: 1oz (30g) :eek:

I have the one piece Triad, there is also the Triad XE which has a separate meths burner and Esbit burner/base unit.
The small meths burner from that, would fit into the Crusader base no problem.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
bogflogger said:
Sorry Martyn, I don't have a Crusader base, but I can give you the dimensions of the Triad:

Overall Diameter: 65mm (including one leg boss).

Diameter: 60mm

Height: 25mm

Weight: 1oz (30g) :eek:

I have the one piece Triad, there is also the Triad XE which has a separate meths burner and Esbit burner/base unit.
The small meths burner from that, would fit into the Crusader base no problem.

Interesting. i think the internal diameter of the crusader fuel well is ...60mm.

It might just be a perfect press fit without the legs. Does the triad pop out of the lag holder thing? I believe it's just a press fit?

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
DWH- It's worth reading the Backpackinglight review posted above by Beamdune.

There is definately a knack to getting the best performance and that review covers it in depth.

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
Martyn, the Triad XE has a small 1 1/2" (?) diameter meths burner, that just sits in the base unit instead of an Esbit tab.

I have just had a good look at my Triad, and I am sure that a Talented Chap with 10 fingers and a Dremel could remove the legs in a couple of mins. :D

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
bogflogger said:
Martyn, the Triad XE has a small 1 1/2" (?) diameter meths burner, that just sits in the base unit instead of an Esbit tab.

I have just had a good look at my Triad, and I am sure that a Talented Chap with 10 fingers and a Dremel could remove the legs in a couple of mins. :D

Easier than that mate, a pair of pliers and a quick twist and they pop right off.

I got a triad like yours BF (not the XE) this morning from an ebay seller. A quick check and sure enough the burner looked an almost perfect fit if the legs are removed. So I removed em. I thought about grinding em off, but they looked to be just held on by a few spots of solder, so i though waht the hell and out with the pliers. They pop right off with a little twist. :)

Next bit of luck, the triad burner could've been made for the crusader cooker. It simply drops right in the fuel well with about 0.5mm clearance all round - pretty much perfect.

The downside. I am singularly unimpressed with the performance of the triad. It is a weak performing stove, fuel inefficient because it took gallons of meths to prime. It's also a cool burning stove, with the flame jets not nearly as powerful as the trangia - with a full load of fuel, it barely even got the crusader half-mugfull of water to "brew warm" before the fuel expired. This is on a sunny day with little to no wind. Simply filling the fuel well of the crusader unit with meths and lighting it, made for a hotter, faster stove (I tried it).

However, I noticed a leak in the seam of the triad, it was loosing fuel and probably pressure as well. Not much, but if the triad is a highly tuned stove, it could be enough to take it from functioning normally, to pretty poorly. I dunno (a web search revealed that seam leaks are common on this model and vargo have had quite a few returns). I'm waiting for the stove to dry and then I'll seal the leak with JB Weld - then test the stove again - I'm not holding my breath though.

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
That's Strange.
I used mine today in exactly the same conditions as you, without any windshield and got 1L of water (in a Trangia 1L Duossal pan + lid) to a rolling boil in 7 1/2 mins and a 22 min burn time.

Some thoughts on this:

1. Is the seam that is leaking, on the top by the burner holes (new model~ this is what I have) or underneath (old model)?
Sealing this with JB weld should do the trick.

2. It is possible that the Crusader base is acting as a heat sink, preventing the Ti stove from getting to operating temperature.

3. A possible solution, might be to partially fill the cup in the Crusader base with Meths and balance the stove unit halfway over this.
lighting up like this should prime both the Crusader base and the Triad burner.
When it's about to burn out, flip the Triad into place.

4. It might be worth making up an Alloy foil, full wraparound windscreen, with 1/2" clearance round the mug.
This needs vents in the bottom to allow a proper chimney effect airflow.
Here's a link to the Vargo design:

http://vargooutdoors.com/index_files/Page339.htm

I am sure you can modify it to suit the Crusader base.

Full test report please! :p

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Further to this BF, I sealed the leak with JB Weld (underneath, it's the old model) and that improved things ..a bit. I get a slightly better flame, but not much. The burner doesnt leak, so it's performing as it should.

I agree, it's possible that the crusader unit is sinking the stove and so is detracting a little from performance, though the flame doesnt look any different when the burner is placed on it's own. I'm not convinced that is the problem.

Boil times ....the triad never managed to get a crusader mug of 250mls to a bouncing boil ...ever. It did manage a sort of brew-hot boil after 12 minutes...small bubbles etc, but never to a rolling boil.

Just filling the fuel well of the crusader unit with meths and lighting it, then using 250mls of water in the mug, I achieved a bouncing boil in a little over 6 minutes. That has to be the benchmark for any mods to this unit.

So far, although the triad seems to be doing what it should, it's slower and cooler than using meths alone - by a big margin.

Part of the problem is that I think it has too many holes (28). The design is like a pressure stove, but the big fill hole and lots of burner holes mean the cooker never really gets pressurised. Also, I think that titanium is a poor choice of material. Titanium is a lousy conductor of heat.

Some facts about titanium, it's not as strong as steel and it's not as light as aluminium and is a much worse conductor of heat than either. However, it's almost as strong as steel and almost as light as aluminium. This means that for some applications, where both strength and light weight is a big issue, it's a good choice. Pots for ultralight hiking for example. Even then, aluminium is lighter and conducts heat better, though aluminium pots are usually heavier because they are not as strong, so they have to be thicker. But anyone who has used a Ti pot, will I'm sure agree, they are harder to heat up than just about anything else.

Using Ti for a stove is a bit of a wierd choice. You dont really need super strength and it's poor heat properties make it less desireable than other metals. It impacts on efficiency and usually means it needs more fuel to prime. So why use Ti in a cooker? Frankly, I dunno. Brass or steel or aluminium are better choices IMO.

Anyhoo, I'm gonna block up 4 of the 28 holes to see if this improves the output of the stove by building up the internal pressure. It's got a long way to go before it can match the heat output, ease of use, zero prime requirements and no fuss of just simply pouring meths into the fuel well of the crusader cooker unit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE