Where to buy decent meths ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Last time I bought meths all I could get was Bartoline stuff and while it's 'meths' it's sputtery stuff some how.
Playing around with one of the pop can stove @Shewie made he a while back and it's not burning clean. The wee stove is clean, I'm sure it's the fuel.
It came out of the original bottle, hadn't been stored in an aluminium one.

Where do folks buy meths these days ?

M

Reactions: ManFriday4

gg012

Sep 23, 2022
SE
I have only bought meths from B and Q, it's pretty crap but I didn't realise that there is a hierarchy. I would be interested in finding out a better source too.

Sent from underground

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have been using bio-ethanol in Trangia and other stoves, seems to work well to me. I think I picked it up in a hardware store while out and about.

Louis

I'd forgotten about that stuff. I have a can of chaffing gel. That might be worth playing around with :)

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I use a Trangia whenever I can’t use the KK or when I can’t be - when I’m in a hurry to strike camp.
I’ve never had a problem concerning meths other than the price. B&Q and Morrisons are a bit more expensive, Wilco, B&M and my local market are cheaper.
Hang on and I’ll go and look…….
£3.49 for 750ml from Wilco. I was burning that in a military (125ml) “Trangia” yesterday at Bala.
I also used it in my little coke can burner for the “Show us your home made alcohol stove” thread here of BcUK.

Reactions: Toddy

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Yep! Forgot them.

I’m on the Classic Camp Stoves site where names of various fuels don’t always cross borders.
So:
We are talking about purple metholated alcohol aren’t we? Common in the UK but apparently not elsewhere.
I’ve never had any problem with it. Until very recently I only burned it in simple stoves like the Trangia. A week or so ago I was given a Coleman lamp that the generous man who gave it to me had adapted for alcohol. It’s running fine on the same purple potion as my Swedish Army “Trangia”.7d6c1cca-9903-462c-b9bc-3795a01e7369.jpeg
Coleman 295

IMG_5325.jpeg
Cola can

.IMG_5384.jpeg

Last edited:

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Last time I bought meths all I could get was Bartoline stuff and while it's 'meths' it's sputtery stuff some how.
Playing around with one of the pop can stove @Shewie made he a while back and it's not burning clean. The wee stove is clean, I'm sure it's the fuel.
It came out of the original bottle, hadn't been stored in an aluminium one.

Where do folks buy meths these days ?

M

Glad you clarified Mary, I was hesistant to refer you to some dodgy address in Amsterdam for some decent stuff

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

• Haha

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I wonder if the bio-ethanol has more water in it? There shouldn’t be any difference between pure ethanol from different sources. Meths is 10% methanol and 90% ethanol.
Meths can be “cooled down” if you need a slow burn by adding up to 6% water.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Mmm... I am a little confused (happens a lot these days :)) - I seem to remember from my 'O' level chemistry that ethanol burns slightly hotter than methanol.

Yep, just looked it up:

"The peak flame temperature of pure ethanol is 1,920 degrees Celsius; the peak flame temperature of pure methanol is 1,870 degrees Celsius...."

Or is it the bio bit that makes it cooler?

• Wow
Reactions: Kadushu

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE