Defender V Hilux, Head V Heart

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gixer

Dec 16, 2012
Midlands
? They weight over a ton, and can pull an artic trailer. Car vs car, other car better have large airbags.

Crash worthiness has very little to do with weight, check out this crash test

[video=youtube;Ad8dHYAIhZ4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad8dHYAIhZ4[/video]

And that's on a disco which is a LOT better in a crash than a defender.

Ladder chassis are shockingly bad in a crash as they have a tendency to fold up or down rather than crumple, neither direction is good news for the occupants unfortunately.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Crash worthiness has very little to do with weight, check out this crash test

[video=youtube;Ad8dHYAIhZ4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad8dHYAIhZ4[/video]

And that's on a disco which is a LOT better in a crash than a defender.

Ladder chassis are shockingly bad in a crash as they have a tendency to fold up or down rather than crumple, neither direction is good news for the occupants unfortunately.

Ouch. That makes no sense I have seen they rolled and all sorts and just carry on.

I hate those tests used to have a Micra mark 1, side impacts on them where scary.

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Interesting video, not too reassuring as a disco driver though ;) I'm glad you went disco over defender though, baggins, we've seen (well, caused, actually!) some awful damage on defenders where heads and legs on the near side would have been lost if they'd've been there... one of our freinds was in a roll where he removed the reinforeced roof head first, they're verrrrry unforgiving but the recovery guys can often still drive them off while the driver and occupants languish in hospital for the next few months.

Our experience of all the double cabs and pick ups are the road manners are atrocious unless you're carrying a good load and the towing weights are laughable in comparison the the LRs (we're 4x4 traders) so I'm real peased for you that you've ended up with the disco 2- auto/ manual? Diseasel?

Edit....The older military series chassis LRs were an uprated guage of metal and waxoyled, I think....we're rebuilding a lightweight atm if anyones breaking one for bits, we have a wishlist as long as your arm ;)

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hiya,

I've had and loved my Landies and I've loved my Ricegrinders too. But one of my Landy mates no longer speaks to me after saying I was thinking about a G wagon as it's so like a Landy but built properly. Flounced off in a cream puff he did.

Goatboy.

I think I'd have to go with the heart in these days of financial hardship.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...Our experience of all the double cabs and pick ups are the road manners are atrocious unless you're carrying a good load and the towing weights are laughable in comparison the the LRs (we're 4x4 traders)....

The towing capacity on a pick-up will always be higher than any SUV (LR or otherwise) You cain't put a proper 5th wheel hitch on an SUV. My Ram (and it's just the half ton 1500) has an 11,999 pound tow capacity with the regular Class 3 hitch. They go up from there. www.dodge.com/towing/D/basics/terms_conditions.html

The SUVs only go to 5000 (less than half that of the Ram)

Last edited:

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Flounced off in a cream puff he did.....
Never heard that before and I likes it a LOT ;) The G wagon is on my wishlist too after seeing twodogs norwegian MOD one at a meet.... just amaaaazing!

I'm in a 'cream puff' with you, santaman, purely feminine jealousy over all those gorgeous testosteron fuelled beasties you get over there.... mmmmm, candy shop..... :cool:

Lupin Rider

Mar 15, 2009
uk
Our experience of all the double cabs and pick ups are the road manners are atrocious unless you're carrying a good load and the towing weights are laughable in comparison the the LRs

Sally that isn't my experience at all. The double cab ranger has a gross payload of 1152 kg vs 988kg of a Defender 110 utilitiy wagon and a max towable of 3350 for the ranger vs 3500 for the lr. The difference is 14 kilos.

As for road manners the pickup feels like a racing car compared with the defender, it is faster, more fuel efficient, way safer, wades deeper, in "limited" spec (akin to xs) it is about 5 grand cheaper on the road price as well.

plus in black it looks as cool as f@^£ and i love it so i'm biased.

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
We used to run a dc ranger, they're certainly the pick of the bunch for all round reliability and cost, traded a few higher spec models and the customers love them though the hilux keeps a stunning resale :D

We gave it up after a tow stop from vosa which nearly cost us £5k... Luckily we were trailing a 101 forward control ambulance and the officer was a big military fan who got the family down to crawl all over it so £300 later, we were on our way... The most expensive 18kg oversight ever ;)

Just had a stalk of yours on the link, it does look the mutts!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE