Defender V Hilux, Head V Heart

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Hi Guys,
now first first off, this isn't a thread asking comparisons between a 110 defender and the Hilux. I've owned more landies than you can shake a big stick at and we have several Hiluxes at work that i use on a daily basis.
No, my question is head or Heart. I really do love defenders but, at around my £9000 budget, i'm really looking at a 2002/03 plate, 100k+ miles. now i know from experience that this is around the age that things start to go bandy with solihuls finest.
Now Hiluxes, for the same money, are more likely to be around 07/08 plate, 80-90k. They are reliable and come with mod cons (such as a heater).
There isn't much to compare off-road (yes yes, i know the defender is way better, but how often do you actually go where a hilux would not make it, not very often really), space wise the hilux wins. So even stevens so far.
Now my prob is my heart, i do have a love (misplaced perhaps) for the old landys but should i listen to it, higher fuel bills, insurance, repair bills and discomfort and all, or should i let the head win and upgrade to a modern jap wagon?
Is it the image thing or just the harking back to simpler days without gadgets and gizmos?
All comments welcome.

Cheers

Baggins

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I own an 02 Hilux 240 and a 1990 Defender. The Hilux is my day to day hack, the 90 gets used when it snows or when my soul needs recharging.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
If you're not buying a brand new one then you're not really saving anyone's job in Solihull so go for the Hilux. I used to be a massive Landie fan (Land Rover themed wedding, sponsored by Haynes :D, dog called "Defender" etc.) but since buying the Pinzgauer I have completely gone off them - they do have a certain British charm but for all the reasons you state above, they're not really a very good choice.

Most off-road trials vehicles are Suzuki based

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Iv had both aswell amongst others discovery ranger etc. Im a landrover man at heart but like you say theres practical things to think about especialy with running costs now. Touch wood iv never had a unreliable landrover including old models sure the usual rattle so me personaly if i didnt do long distance id go defender, iv been looking recently and the odd bargain does arise but you have to be quick. I may be wrong but i get the impresion that if you get a hilux after a few months youl wish you had gone with your heart!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
For your budget, you can buy a vehicle that will need constant, inconvenient, expensive repairs, or one that will offer trouble free motoring for many years.

Its not a hard choice really

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
I'm a landy man, what you've got to remember is when someone eventually goes wrong with a hilux it's not gonna be cheap. Land rover parts are CHEAP, fair enough you buy them more frequently but if even something small goes in the hilux it's going to be likely hundreds of pounds vs getting change from a £20 note.

Just my thoughts

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
...If you intend to work the vehicle the LR will need numerous repairs while the Hilux will break in such a way as to be beyond economical repair. If you just want a road vehicle with 4WD buy the Hilux, if working hard offroad buy the LR.

Lupin Rider

Mar 15, 2009
uk
Heart wanted a 110' head wanted airbags and other usefull items. I ended up after years of indecision with the new ford ranger. 5star safety rating. 4k miles later ive loved every mile. Head every time. Follow heart to find gf/wife etc, head for engineered items.

I think that in spirit if ford had kept jlr then next defender would have been very similar to the new ranger.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Follow heart to find gf/wife etc, head for engineered items.
Thats soooo True. Thanks for all your thoughts guys.
Of course, has't helped in the slightest mind.
I'm a tree surgeon by trade so it will get worked hard, carrying lots, towing and plenty of off road (nothing extreme).
Ho hum, no matter which road i go down, i'm sure there'll be plenty of fun.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
A lot of newer toyotas that use the D4D engine are having problems with the EGR valves. It throws a wobbler, then goes into "limp home" mode. Due to the nature of the EGR - part electronic/part mechanical unit, you cannot blank or bypass it either - its a real pain in the @r$e.

The landy and the shogun are easy to bypass the EGR and reduce the risks of future problems, the shogun is far better built than the land though. Having bought a Toyota with a D4D engine, i would never buy one again.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yeah, Toyota is pricey over here as well. Unfortunately they quit offering the Land Cruiser quit a long time ago.

To be honest, my best advice to the OP is to flip a coin. No matter which way you go you're going to be disappointed in one fashion or another. If you go with your head, you'll always wish you had what you "could" have gotten. If you go with your heart, you'll be reminded (through your wallet) what you "should" have gotten.

Vulpes

Nomad
Nov 30, 2011
Cahulawassee River, Kent
+1 on the Toyota side of things - mainly the Land Cruiser. The 1987 war in Chad was actually dubbed 'The Toyota War' because there were so many Land Cruisers used by the combatants. The Hilux, in particular the old Surf is cheap and fat too, just seems to be quite a hard ride. I read somewhere that there was a conflict in the Middle East where they found that if you drove over a minefield fast enough in one, you could avoid setting them off, but it had to be 70mph+.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE