DD Frontline or Travel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wolfmanuk

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2012
Leeds
Hi there,

I'm about to buy my first Hammock and Tarp setup and have decided to go for a DD hammock however I can't quite decide whether to get the Frontline or Travel one.

I've heard you can get condensation by using the Travel Hammock due to it's waterproof base. Has anyone else found this to cause many problems? Which would you go for?

Many thanks,
Mark

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I used to use a Travel Hammock, never suffered from condensation in it though, you might want to also have a look at some of the offerings from UK Hammocks & Tenth Wonder as alternatives to DD, nothing wrong with DD's mind, just something else to throw in the mix.

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
I have Frontline and Travel and I find the Travel slightly warmer (wind doesn't whip through it quite the same) and haven't suffered from condensation as yet.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I've got the DD Travel - I get condensation at the head end. I've also got the TW Grey Hornet. No condensation issues and a longer hammock. If I had to go back and choose a DD I'd get the frontline, Out of all of them I'd probable stick with my TW.

Urban X

Nomad
Apr 6, 2012
Thanet, Kent
I've been thinking along exactly the same lines as Wolfmanuk, either DD frontline or Travel, Hennessey are too expensive for me and I thought that TW were just a cheap immitation/import of the DD gear, just been looking at the Camo Hornet on that Bay and with a seperate waterproof layer that can double as an emergency tarp, be left off completely, strung up on it's own to maybe catch water, or used as a groundsheet, that hammock has alot of possibilities.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TW-Hammoc...819?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5649bf760b

What is the build quality like on these TW hammocks compared to say DD?

Not trying to hijack your thread Wolfmanuk but as we're both in the same quandry it seems, thought I'd ask at the same time :D

Cheers

Si

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I've been thinking along exactly the same lines as Wolfmanuk, either DD frontline or Travel, Hennessey are too expensive for me and I thought that TW were just a cheap immitation/import of the DD gear, just been looking at the Camo Hornet on that Bay and with a seperate waterproof layer that can double as an emergency tarp, be left off completely, strung up on it's own to maybe catch water, or used as a groundsheet, that hammock has alot of possibilities.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TW-Hammoc...819?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5649bf760b

What is the build quality like on these TW hammocks compared to say DD?

Not trying to hijack your thread Wolfmanuk but as we're both in the same quandry it seems, thought I'd ask at the same time :D

Cheers

Si

The build quality is the same - they're both decent budget end hammocks.

Wolfmanuk

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2012
Leeds
Excellent, thanks for your input guys. I've decided to order the Travel Hammock and tarp from DD.

Time to dig out my knot book lol!

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Ive got a travel Hammock, so has my mate, we been out a few times this winter and have had no issues with condensation.

I got the Travel hammock fro DD as a second for 1/2 the price...

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
We've got both travel and frontline, I slept in the travel at the weekend and found it comfort around my shoulders as it seems a wider spread? I don't know if its due to using the supplied tape with two lines runing out to the tree instead of the ring mod ? I had no condensation issues an was pretty snug.

Sent from my HTC Explorer using Tapatalk

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
+1 for the DD Travel Hammock. No issues so far with condensation and also like the fact that it can be used on the ground if there's a lack of trees.

Mr Finch

Aug 16, 2011
Hampshire, UK
Just to throw the Tenth Wonder back in the mix, I have the Tenth Wonder XL and I love it. It's slightly longer than usual at 2.8 metres.

I figured that at £17 posted it wouldn't do any harm to try out hammocking. I have (like most) changed out the suspension - the green "rope" they supply is crap, and made my own snakeskins recently.

I have a DD 3x3m tarp and while it's perfectly wide enough, it doesn't quite cover the rings on the end of the hammock. I was going to make myself a longer tarp but have just seen that TW also also do a tarp that's 3.6m long for £28 ish posted.

I won't bother with a DD hammock but am saving for a Warbonnet Blackbird amongst other things....

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I won't bother with a DD hammock but am saving for a Warbonnet Blackbird amongst other things....

Ive just got one of those, only used it a couple of times and once overnight, but am already in lurv with it:) , not cheap, but worth every single penny

Wolfmanuk

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2012
Leeds
Well I just wanted to add that I ordered the DD Travel Hammock and Tarp yesterday afternoon and it's now sat here at my desk at work!!

Awesome service!!

Also in addition I've bought the Whoopie system to enhance my hanging!!

Can't wait for the weekend now!

palace

Forager
Mar 4, 2011
NW London England
I have a a DD Travel 2010 a superb hammock & XL Tarp, however I am a hot sleeper and condensation was a factor. I also have a Tenth Wonder Hammock & Tarp which was made for me, it is longer and much wider to take my 20+ stone and very wide shoulders, the hammock has a triple bottom the outer is waterproof the ones you lay on are permeable so moisture is no longer a problem

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE