DD 3x3 Tarp help needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi Bushcraftuk i have decided to buy a DD travel hammock & DD 3x3 tarp.For my first trip out.

thing is i was going to buy Dyneema for Ridge line & guy lines.

can i ask can i ask how long should a ridge line & guy lines be for a tarp
setup thanks...

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I often use a dd 3x3 and my ridgeline rope is a 10m coil of paracord so i can span 2 wide apart trees if needed, i leave attached to the tarp 2m on each corner but in bad weather i peg down directly through the guy line loops.

i'm a floor sleeper under my tarp not a hammocker

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I use paracord that comes in 100 foot coils. 25 foot for the ridgeline, split the rest between the corners and middle. And usually some spare if with friends and we want a huge 3 hammock tarp over.

I like pitching my tarp in a diamond shape, gives good cover and a lovely view from the hammock. I also have another fixed and coiled ridgeline that runs horizontal for if it's windy and need to hunker down.

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
Like the guys have said use para cord. Dynmma is a bit of over kill to be used as a guide line.

I must admit as well as para cord I also use buggies. A kick back from my time in the military. They can come in handy from time to time

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
I done a bit of reading on this recently as i had also just bought one and was upgrading lines etc. I read that paracord can be too stretchy for guys and ridges, so ended up sticking with dyneema even if it is overkill. Plenty of diffrent opinions mind you, and most were still of opinion that paracord works just fine regardless.

I went for 12m ridgeline, 4m guys on the corners and split the rest of my cord into 6 3.5m lengths, to be used on the mid tie outs if needed. Wanted to use up my full 50m that i bought. Might be a bit long in most cases, but it doesnt really weigh all that much so at least im covered for the odd time out.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Hi Bushcraftuk i have decided to buy a DD travel hammock & DD 3x3 tarp.For my first trip out.

thing is i was going to buy Dyneema for Ridge line & guy lines.

can i ask can i ask how long should a ridge line & guy lines be for a tarp
setup thanks...
This is the best article you will find for Tarpology. 'tracking lines' are 15m lines used canoeing.

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/s...up-your-tarp-in-different-configurations.html

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

Collyboy

Feb 3, 2016
United Kingdom
I've started using Marlow throw line with tensioners on the guy lines,I find on bigger tarps paracord is a little too stretchy but I still use it on smaller tarps/bashas

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I've started using Marlow throw line with tensioners on the guy lines,I find on bigger tarps paracord is a little too stretchy but I still use it on smaller tarps/bashas

Good point on paracord, it's designed to stretch. I might invest in some Dyneema for the long ridgeline when the tarp is strung on the diagonal.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
how long is a piece of string :lmao: sorry I could not resist

Twice half it’s length
getmecoat_zpseg5n6tro.gif~original

Collyboy

Feb 3, 2016
United Kingdom
Good point on paracord, it's designed to stretch. I might invest in some Dyneema for the long ridgeline when the tarp is strung on the diagonal.
I think it's worth it for longer ridgelines especially in wet & windy conditions it saves a lot of readjustment, I still love using paracord though it's hard to beat for the most part.

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
Agree with Mountainm above me. You don't want to have a very taut setup in windy conditions. You have a good chance to rip your tarp.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Stretch is good, especially in the wind. I bungee up all tie outs with shock cord, so it always has some give.

Agree with Mountainm above me. You don't want to have a very taut setup in windy conditions. You have a good chance to rip your tarp.

Agreed, not storm force, but I hate flapping. New cord takes a while to stretch, so can get stretched in the night.

I tried the shock cord thing, it isn't for me, I want it down tight. As I say I'm not trying to keep a storm at bay, I'm fair weather camper :)

Collyboy

Feb 3, 2016
United Kingdom
I use shock cord tensioners on each guy line to help take pressure of the tarp when windy but I like the ridgeline to be as taut as possible, I've just recently got some loop alien clones to try I'll give them a bash next trip out.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE