Dartmoor Meet 1st to 3rd April

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
lol, i had mentioned to Ivan, my aim is to do less kit!

spent a week last January (snow, rain, hail, winds, sunshine) with nothing more than my clothes, bivvy & sleeping bag, knife, survival tin and a billy can... though that was with no wife and kids....

if i can keep it to that x4, plus tent, a couple of torches and our 2way radios... i will be happy (didnt mention beer and food as that is a given! lol)

what kit are you thinking you are in need of?

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
Kit i need is a new pair of boots , as for sleeping i cant make my mind up, hammock/tarp,tent ,basha or do i just throw the whole lot in my van and work it out when i get there? :headbang:

Nova & Pinky

Settler
Jan 13, 2011
Mitcham, South London (Surrey)
spent a week last January (snow, rain, hail, winds, sunshine) with nothing more than my clothes, bivvy & sleeping bag, knife, survival tin and a billy can... though that was with no wife and kids....

if i can keep it to that x4, plus tent, a couple of torches and our 2way radios... i will be happy

what kit are you thinking you are in need of?

Lol, that little with wife and kids?!

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
Kit i need is a new pair of boots , as for sleeping i cant make my mind up, hammock/tarp,tent ,basha or do i just throw the whole lot in my van and work it out when i get there? :headbang:

aha! yes, i need a pair of boots too, seeing as my son has nicked my brashers! :(

my choice (as a ground dweller) would be for tarp and bivvy, cant do that though with the family along

Lol, that little with wife and kids?!

im hoping! :)

will have more cooking kit..... so 4 billys, a kettle (poss kelly), tripod unless there are some staves to be found onsite. sleepmats, blankets. some books for plant, tree, bird identifying and id imagine mrs ajuna wil bring a book or two for the quiet times

im hoping we will all be so busy as to fil the day so kids dont get bored anyway... if not, theres always plenty of water runs to do and washing up! :p

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
1. FreddyFish
2. Zarkwon
3. Nova & Pinky
4. James Mayo
5. Southey
6. Jonajuna ?+1
7. Bushwhacker - will be bringing cider courtesy of British Red.
8. Steve, Joy & Sophie (aged 10)
9. Neumo
10. Radix lecti
11.jaysurfer
12. Ivan & Katie (aka. mongoose13 (aged 11))
13. dave53

Last edited:

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Welcome Dave53. I've got a few tracking games to keep the kids involved Jon, they won't be bored mate. Stop worrying! It's their meet just as much as ours, if not more so.

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
Welcome Dave53. I've got a few tracking games to keep the kids involved Jon, they won't be bored mate. Stop worrying! It's their meet just as much as ours, if not more so.

cheers me dears :D

looking forward to the day you can bring your boy along too? :)

Emma87

Jun 21, 2009
Exeter
1. FreddyFish
2. Zarkwon
3. Nova & Pinky
4. James Mayo
5. Southey
6. Jonajuna ?+1
9. Neumo
10. Radix lecti
11.jaysurfer
13. dave53
14. Emma and Nathan

Feb 6, 2011
none
Morning Everyone . Welcome, Emma,Nathan and dave53. just to let you all know ,(jon) I have tripod, dutch oven and all manor of cooking pots frying pans etc ,help keep the weight down, please tell me if i am making this trip sound too comfortable and i will load all the things that spoiling it on to the quad and hide it far away!!

PS. I am going to Wales for the weekend ,so at least you will all have a break from my incessant chatter. its not that i have disappeared , only no internet where i am going .But dont woory i will be back to give you all a headache on Sunday !

Feb 6, 2011
none
Hi mayobushcraft, to be honest i have loads of firewood at the camp,and we would have to transfer your wood as your jeep could not get to the site , but in saying that i never turn wood away so if is not a pain for you to travel down with the trailer i will buy the load from you and we can chuck it in the yard for future camps. cheers Ivan

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
One thing that is always certain with group camps is that you can never have too much wood!
If you have 10 individual fires going at different points throughout the day and then a big group fire in the evenings it is always surprising how much wood you burn through!

If it is ok I will probably bring my cast iron gear anyway.... nothing like cooking with cast iron on an open fire!
Especially cooking chilli and a good spicey english breakfast in the morning!

Feb 6, 2011
none
You are absolutely right Jaysurfer, you start chucking wood on a well based fire and its like feeding an elephant strawberries! by all means bring your gear, love the sound of chilli and breakfast ,sshhh dont tell the others !

Nova & Pinky

Settler
Jan 13, 2011
Mitcham, South London (Surrey)
Mmm... spicy breakfasts. Huevos Rancheros baby! - tho I like mine with meat as well ;)
Looking forward to seeing the cooking with ironwork. Our titanium Yukon Firebox arrived this week, so that will be coming along for the journey as well.

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
It's nothing that special....
It's a mexican recipe with an English twist!

Basically the mexican way of ding it is chopped tomatoes, peppers, chillis in a pan and cooked. When bubbling you make an indent for the eggs and crack an egg into the indent, the heat coming through the bubbling mix cooks the egg. It's a veggie breakfast with a kick from the chillis... It is nice this way but I too prefer a bit more meat in all my meals.

I basically cook sausages, bacon, black pudding and mushrooms in the pan before adding the tomatoes and chillis (dried birds eye work best) and then the eggs. So it ends up being a very hot english breakfast!

Had it with Mayo the last time we were out in the woods...
I usually take enough food to feed an army so if anyone thinks what i am cooking smells good and wants to give it a try you're more than welcome.

FreddyFish

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Frome, Somerset, UK
OK Here is the final guest list. If you'er names not down you're not coming in... Well not this time ;)

1. FreddyFish (with a possible +2)
2. Zarkwon
3. Nova & Pinky
4. James Mayo
5. Southey
6. Jon(ajuna) Lesa, Cory (13) and Tilly (10)
9. Neumo
10. Radix lecti
11.jaysurfer
13. dave53
14. Emma and Nathan

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
looking at all the couples and kids coming I feel that i should bring my girlfriend and her little girl BUT there are several factors stopping me!

1) My girlfriend thinks the great outdoors is the fields and local country park!
2) She won't leave the house without spending an hour getting ready and doing her makeup
3) She's pregnant
4) I stand more chance of getting her to go out without makeup then go camping
5) Her little girl is only 22 months, and even though I am sure she would love it, sharp shiney things and fires may be a bit of an issue!

So yet again I will be a lone bushcrafter and use the time to reflect upon my thoughts and enjoy the solitude of lonliness - or i would if it wasn't for the other 20 people who are gonna be there!
PARTY round the campfire anyone?

Jon are you doing your usual bottle of tequila hugging routine?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE