Cravings, Pregnancy can some one explane this?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
Cravings, Pregnancy can some one explane this?

Right this isn't effecting me or my Girl Friend at the moment (and I will point out we don't want kid's for a long time if ever), but I am not able to understand Cravings while pregnant. A friend of mine and his wife have recently been Gifted with a on coming child, and last night while chatting with myself my mum and dad (Both are friends of mine since I was six) she had a craving for a Big-Mack (she is a vegetarian) but coated with pea nut butter.

Now I need to ask, are the cravings due to a lack in somthing in the diet of the woman and the brain interprates that as "Oh I know what iron tastes like and it's a big juicy steak"? OR "Ah I need some calcium, so I'll tell the gut I want some more of that really tasty strawberry milk stuff", then when it gets odd it's missing a multitude of stuff as in, "God I need a smoked mackerel milk shake on top of a toothpaste and ice berg salad"?

As my Firendly medical professional is working for the next few days I would like the community input on this.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Come on... a man can hardly understand a woman at the best of times.:dunno:

With all those hormones raging and body changes she's going through during pregnancy what chance has he got of understanding cravings she might have :nono:

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
The pregnant woman is amazing. When swmbo was pregnant with my son, she has a craving for mints. Just a certain brand of mints.
Turns out these mints had a very high iron content, and she was lacking iron at the time.
Simply amazing.

touched by nature

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Oh! Don't! The memories haunt me..Walking the cold streets at night desperate to find a 24 hour shop to buy tins of fruit salad...Nooo! not in syrup..had to be natural juice. :lmao::lmao:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
My soon to arrive grandchild No2, like its brother is mostly pickles, eggs and cabbage mainly with the odd bowl of sliced onion in mint sauce.

My wife had a thing for strawberry milkshakes or Brandy Alexander (very very little brandy/crème de cacao in it), my own mother loved onions fried in butter. Provide whats needed...life is easier that way.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
With my missus it was the reverse, she could not stand to even look at certain food groups. The mere sight of a tin of beans was enough to have her heaving.
Strange old process isn't it. More than a lovely symbiotic process the reality is more of an ongoing battle.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
One anecdote I have heard is that this is a skill we all have, but the only time our society deems it OK is when you are a woman and pregnant.

Our eldest was built with a craving for fruit in general.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Swmbo diddnt have any major cravings and I had coal and pickles stockpiled ready which was a dissapointment. She did munch her way through boxes of jaffacakes while expecting our first, not keen on them now and our youngest won't touch them at all..... funny old world eh and as Steve says how can us men even hope to understand?

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Hmmm, does make me wonder whether us menfolk might get away with 'sympathetic pregnancy cravings'?

'Sorry dear, we're both craving iron ... it's just that the iron I'm craving is shiny and sharp' :D

No, I wouldn't try that one either :rofl:

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
My oth was three months nauseous so no cravings at all. Did eat a lot, of dry biscuits as only thing didn't make her sick. Little and very often. She still Carries stashes of food now. Although she's not given birth yet so cld be craving s of sorts.
Hormones are crazy chemicals. Man! I can't get over them hormones!!!!

Stroller

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 27, 2012
London
Mine would hoover up biltong. But I wonder if it is a way for the missus to make you jump through hoops to see if you are still paying attention.

But then .....

As Good As it Gets
Woman: How do you write women so well?
Melvin: I think of a man... then I take away reason, and accountability.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE