crafting with mans best friend

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy T

Settler
Sep 8, 2010
Stoke on Trent.
The best dog i ever owned was a Brian Plummer lurcher, a dog called Fallon ( formerly Neil Mackies dog and mentioned in Plummers book North by north again). Brian gave her to me in very tragic circumstances and unfortunately i lost her in equally tragic circumstances..She was the daughter of Brians best ever bitch Merab (there are pictures of Merab around the net possibly on the Plummer terrier site ) A very well known dog in hunting circles. I have to say when out hunting with both dogs Fallon outclassed her mother on a few occasions ( although Brian of course would never admit this). Her ability to mark a warren was unbelievable, as was her ability to catch and retrieve. I was asked once to go out with her and demonstrate to a group of fellow hunters just what she could do. After we had finished hunting , on the way back to my car, i was approached by one of the men and asked if i were to ever sell her what would be the price. I told him he didn't have enough money, everything has a price he said, how about £5000. I walked away full of pride and with a smile on my face.
When she had her accident, and finally succumbed to it, i'm not afraid or too proud to say i didn't eat for a week, didn't leave the house for two weeks and if im honest i still don't think im over it, which is why although i own a terrier at the moment i couldn't face having another lurcher. Not only do i think i've had the best and it would be all downhill from here i don't think it would be fair on the new dog as i would be constantly making comparisons. All this happened almost ten years ago now, but who knows maybe one day i'll think about another lurcher.

Last edited:

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I've always take my pooch with me when I can. Used to take him to work but the bosses put their foot down. Had a few and it always breaks my heart when they get old and still try to keep up. Currently have a lab collie cross called Perrin, best trained one to date
c1238425-13a8-4914.jpg

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

lucan

Nomad
Sep 6, 2010
East Yorks
We Haven't got a dog, I grew up in a house with Jack Russell's, and cat's, There are some lovely dogs on here, I'm hopeing one day to get a Jack Russell Once our kids have grown up and moved on( the youngest doesn't like em).

So.....my best mate at the minute is Becks ( named after the lager, not the Footballer). :rolleyes:
imag0012n.jpg

He's a domestic semi-longhaired Moggie and he's great, Follows me around everywhere, Likes to play fetch, With scrunched up lottery tickets, When me and our youngest camp out in the garden he's there with us.

Cheers Lucan;)

Will Bowden

Tenderfoot
Jan 23, 2009
Exmoor
www.MuddyRedLandRover.co.uk
Youtube link to my two canine companions.

[video=youtube;uKAj7w4rvzE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKAj7w4rvzE[/video]

The lurcher comes out with me at night, the terrier by day usually.

The lurcher is Deerhound/Greyhound/Bedlington X bred by The Farthing family see ExmoorLurcher.co.uk for more on them. He is a big fella but pretty agile for his size and obviously fast when he tries which is rare unless he is after something.

35939_426941383086_732978086_4  863698_7364854_n.jpg

The Terrier is a Patterdale bred by a local farm from their own terrier bitch and one of the foxhounds Patterdale dogs. Patterdales are very bright, feisty, relentless, fearless with fairly disgusting habits.

37937_458770653086_732978086_5  450988_1974731_n.jpg

Will :)

Conrad81

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2010
Edinburgh
I've got a collie and a pomeranian, cant imagine going out without them. They absolutely love the outdoors, especially when it snows and I cant keep the wee Pom out the water, she is a good swimmer. Its just nice to have the company along with you.

Great pics of everyone's best friends, will see about posting a few of mine when I get home.

_mark_

Settler
May 3, 2010
Google Earth
Not only do i think i've had the best and it would be all downhill from here i don't think it would be fair on the new dog as i would be constantly making comparisons. All this happened almost ten years ago now, but who knows maybe one day i'll think about another lurcher.

I would get another lurcher, great great dogs. You never know it may surprise you.

Mafro

Settler
Jan 20, 2010
Kent
www.selfemadeknives.co.uk
Here is my girl, shes an English springer spaniel, and has just turned 14 weeks, so it will be a while before she is out in the woods for more than a short walk with us. Shes a smasher though, and I can't wait to be able to take her out properly :)

166823_10150352618345074_798320073_16710598_174757_n.jpg

162642_10150119050106323_522606322_8027057_4768029_n.jpg

stekker

Forager
Aug 21, 2009
holland
I was out today with the dog to gather some nettles for cordage and take pictures of the elder tree i took berries from. Anyway we sat down for a wee rest and i got a cracking picture of the wee guy.

Just wondering who else takes the dog along with you?

100_0028.jpg

Here's my little Jack Russell,she's still learning!
2z7exhx.jpg

3463kok.jpg

My other JR passed away 1 year ago ,she was 15 years old.
2e392q8.jpg

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
Here is my girl, shes an English springer spaniel, and has just turned 14 weeks, so it will be a while before she is out in the woods for more than a short walk with us. Shes a smasher though, and I can't wait to be able to take her out properly :)

166823_10150352618345074_798320073_16710598_174757_n.jpg

162642_10150119050106323_522606322_8027057_4768029_n.jpg

That "butter wouldn't melt" look does not fool me!

We have had enough ESS's at ours to know what they're like!

Beaut though, Enjoy!

My old Lab's back legs are really getting bad now, its a heartbreaker!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Another pic of Ajax. I take him with me almost everywhere, or at least until I'm told he's not allowed.

IMG_1965.jpg

I like that. It's better to get to get forgiveness than permission. I like Ajax too. Perfect fishin' buddy.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE