crafting with mans best friend

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
Here is my buddy he loves being out and about bushcrafting.
harrythebushdog.jpg

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
When I lost Douglas (my avatar and namesake) I wailed - and I mean like the women on TV. Worst pain I ever felt.

My wife chose Dylan who I initially hated.

July2008085.jpg

Shortly after this picture when he ate most of the house, full of beans:

July2008277.jpg

Then got handsome, but still wanted to shoot him:

Picture005-2.jpg

He's finally started to calm down and I have a 6 month old Black lab Bavarian Mountain Hound cross

DSCF1176.jpg

Nosey little thing, always sitting and watching:

DSCF1171.jpg

But they are great together, love each other to bits:

DSCF1481.jpg

I took them out to train Bryn (BMH) as he is a little gun shy. I was shooting next to them with a moderated rimfire and they were both finding the venison I had thrown out earlier. Good lads, I have high hopes, and they fit on one bed roll together in camp.

kimbo

Nomad
Feb 21, 2006
Kent
dslrrudy031copy.jpg
dslrrudy031copy.jpg

dslrrudy047copy.jpg

dslrrudy028.jpg

A couple of pictures of my boy Rudy. A real lovely lad. A GSD x Alaskan Malamute..... and as you can see gorgeous!

Kim

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
im always taking my 2 out into the field with me. you can keep your underblankets and high-tech synthetics, come winter, these 2 are all i need....

photo.php

photo.php

photo.php

would never be without them...although american cocker spaniels dont exactly make the best gundogs!! incredible none the less. just full of love.

Sanji

Forager
Oct 20, 2006
Oban, Scotland
Here's my girl, a Siberian Husky, about nine months old in this picture.Great company,loves catching mice and is always after squirrels and grouse as well as anything else that looks interesting.
IMG_0365.jpg

I've been thinking of getting a Siberian Husky, really only dog id get. Any advice on choosing one ect?

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Dougster, Chris and everyone who's lost a canine best pal, I know what it's like.

I grew up with cats and dogs and it really hurts when they pass away.

About five years ago, I'd been dogless for a year and then had my 20 year old cat "Cheeky" die in my arms.

I swore there and then never ever to have another pet. Selfish but easier on me.

That was until 16 months ago when a bloke whom I was working with, had his van breakdown on site at finishing time and was going to be stuck on a hilltop.

The lads on site, mostly shooters/gundog owners, refused to help him and were close to giving him a mob handed beating. The reason being the way he treated his dog. I'd worked with him for six months and never heard him mention having a dog. One of the lads knew his next door neighbour and so knew all about it.

As I was the Chargehand I had to defuse the situation and gave him a lift home. On the pretence that I'd be stuck in traffic anyway I accepted his offer of a cuppa.

I took the dog with me when I left. I had no intention of having a dog and must admit it took me a wee while to really warm to him. My fault not the dogs.

I'm 43 now and he's turned out to be the best dog I've ever had.

For those that have lost a dog, give yourselves a break - you are allowed to love another one. You're not denigrating the memory of your old dog, nor being disloyal.

Every dog needs a home, and every home needs a dog.

Liam

p.s. some great looking dogs on this thread.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
I've been thinking of getting a Siberian Husky, really only dog id get. Any advice on choosing one ect?

No special advice really.If you aren't familiar with this breed,then it would be good to do some research to make sure it's what you want.
They are extremely active and very friendly but do need to have lots of time spent with them.They are fairly headstrong at times too.
Run?They live to run.If you don't have them on a leash they might not come back to you till they're good and ready.
If they run off,there's no hope of catching them unless they want to be caught.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
This is such a great thread...... im glad im not the only one here to still get upset about my old girl.....

Miyagi, thats straight from the heart and you have set me off again.........lol...........

you just cant tell a person who has not had or lost a dog what its like, im glad you all feel like me and thank you so much for you comments....... it means loads thank you.......

and i also love your saying Miyagi "every dog needs a home, and every home needs a dog."

my wife had a tattoo of the dog done yesterday, her first one.... only small just her name, but she felt she had to do it......each to there own, it might even make her feel a bit better about it all......

again thanks all, great dogs, realy stunning all of them...

regards...

chris.......................................................

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Here is a pic of my "pack" All of them are working dogs, Unfortunatly the terrier bitch with the purple lead passed away 3 days ago but she had a good innings (17 years) and it is very sad to loose one of the pack.

2s1rh2h.jpg

Here is my lurcher bitch Bronnie who goes everywhere with me she is 2 years old and is turning out to be an excellent worker

2qvb2c1.jpg

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
No special advice really.If you aren't familiar with this breed,then it would be good to do some research to make sure it's what you want.
They are extremely active and very friendly but do need to have lots of time spent with them.They are fairly headstrong at times too.
Run?They live to run.If you don't have them on a leash they might not come back to you till they're good and ready.
If they run off,there's no hope of catching them unless they want to be caught.

They are not easy dogs to have, it stands to reason with their actual use as utility dog, I know a few and my Aunt has a number of them which get shown to the highest level and they are also compete with the racing side, again to a UK high level and with alot of success, wonderful looking and lovely temperaments but a handfull and not very controlable (obviously just my opinion and compared to what I am used to) and it would seem they cannot be allowed too much freedom for the reasons mentioned.
Just be sure you are not choosing a dog on looks alone, they can offer so much more than being an accessory.
There's alot to be said for the boring old working breeds, and the reason why they worked in first place is partly their compatability with man.
Apologies but I firmly believe that you should be sure you are getting the right dog and for the right reasons, it should be a long road together and they are a bind at times.

mike 01302

Tenderfoot
Jan 30, 2010
doncaster
i would love to take "norman the nose" with me but typical bull terrier he first tries to hump it, if he cant hump it he fights it, if he cant fight it he pi**es on it . Come to think of it like owner like hound lol

chris_irwin

Nomad
Jul 10, 2007
oxfordshire
Dougster, Chris and everyone who's lost a canine best pal, I know what it's like.

I grew up with cats and dogs and it really hurts when they pass away.

About five years ago, I'd been dogless for a year and then had my 20 year old cat "Cheeky" die in my arms.

I swore there and then never ever to have another pet. Selfish but easier on me.

That was until 16 months ago when a bloke whom I was working with, had his van breakdown on site at finishing time and was going to be stuck on a hilltop.

The lads on site, mostly shooters/gundog owners, refused to help him and were close to giving him a mob handed beating. The reason being the way he treated his dog. I'd worked with him for six months and never heard him mention having a dog. One of the lads knew his next door neighbour and so knew all about it.

As I was the Chargehand I had to defuse the situation and gave him a lift home. On the pretence that I'd be stuck in traffic anyway I accepted his offer of a cuppa.

I took the dog with me when I left. I had no intention of having a dog and must admit it took me a wee while to really warm to him. My fault not the dogs.

I'm 43 now and he's turned out to be the best dog I've ever had.

For those that have lost a dog, give yourselves a break - you are allowed to love another one. You're not denigrating the memory of your old dog, nor being disloyal.

Every dog needs a home, and every home needs a dog.

Liam

p.s. some great looking dogs on this thread.

I lost a dog 2 years ago, she was a golden retriever who I had grown up with (since I was 3). I don't think I will ever have the same relationship with another dog. She really was special, very human like in her personality and manerisms and was incredible loving and loyal.

At the time it really hurt to lose her and I still think of her a lot, so I understand where you are coming from on this. However, I have never understood why losing a pet puts people off getting another one. I understand completely that it's heartbreaking because I have been through it myself. But to me, It's not just sad because I've lost the dog and a friend, but also because I will have no more memories to come. It is this feeling that makes me want to get another dog even more if anything.

I can honestly say that with sufficient space, money and time I will most definitely own a dog for the rest of my life.

persistent king

Settler
May 23, 2010
wigan
I lost my two dogs this year sadly , but they were both 16, they were both yorkshire terriers , one was a toy ,penny(and i dont mean plastic) and one was a minature amy, and amy used to come everywere with me , in the woods , hunting, it broke my heart having them put down , one in jan and the other in oct.

any way this bleedin toe biter is milly, she is 12 cweeks and cant wait to get her into the woods lol
IMG00131-20100917-2106.jpg

This is penny when she went blind
Picture033.jpg

this is amy just before she passed away
Picture020.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE