Cordage Advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 8, 2014
High Wycombe
Hi All,

I currently use 3mm paracord when putting up my tarp but find that my prusik knots don't grip that well. After doing a little homework the recommendation seems to be to use a thicker cordage for the ridgeline.

What do other people use for their ridgelines?

Thanks,
Hideaway

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
5mm 7 strand paracord for me with line locks and no holding knots, i make a loop which goes over the peg and then use the line lock to tighten

kristophish

Native
Mar 17, 2012
nuneaton
I use 550 paracord for the ridgeline. The prusiks just need to be thinner than the ridge. At the min im using an old bootlace

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
B and Q do a thin orange builders line which is thin and very strong. I use it for prusiks on my ridge line and else where. It bites lovely. Think I paid a quid for 20 metres.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I use starter cord for my ridge line. With a trucker's hitch I can get it proper taut!

If your Prusik's aren't holding, try using more turns

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Agreed with spandit, you won't need to replace the lines if you modify the knots to suit the lines.

If it's only 3mm thick it's not what I'd call paracord, but there are lots of people on the Internet selling things that are to put it politely inaccurately described... :tapedshut

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
It all depends - on my sisal rope ridgeline I use Jute cordage prussic, on my Polypro Ridgeline I use thin braided nylon cord prussic, on my "utility cord" (think thicker 'paracord') ridgeline I use 3mm 'paracord'.
If you keep the prussic (I use "French Prussics") thinner than the ridge and use enough turns most materials work :)

Apr 8, 2014
High Wycombe
Some great advice, thanks for all the replies.

I think I'm going to keep the ridgeline I have and instead opt to change the cord I use for the prusiks.

Thanks again.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I used to use 3mm paracord for the ridge, with 2mm dyneema for the prussik cord. I have moved to 2mm dyneema for both the prussik cord and the ridge line. They seem to grip each other nicely.

I use line loks on the 2mm dyneema guy lines.

Julia

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE