Cold Steel Kobun / medium bushcraft use and utillity

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

airborne09

Forager
Dec 9, 2016
North East
Hello all , Just wondering if anyone uses or has used the Cold Steel Kobun for light to medium bushcraft use and general utillity use ?As they are not too expensive I am considering getting one and possibly modding it up slightly by doing a nice tight paracord wrap and possibly re profiling the bottom edge of the yokote to a more smoother shape rather than the angled chisel grind . Maybe its not everyones choice as a bushcraft tool but I believe that after watching several hard use tests of this knife that it should stand up to the rigours of light to medium use ie slicing , feather sticking , light battoning , whittling and other general tasks . Its not too large or heavy and in my opinion a good little knife to carry in your rucksack or daysack when camping . But as I have never used one just wondering what others opinions are ?

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Kobun owner here.
The handle defo requires paracord wrap as it's very thin, but I think it was designed for it as it works very well and fits in the sheath wrapped. Also the blade looks much better after a little polish with polishing compound (like brasso).

As to bushcraft use. It's not the classic blade shape but the size and thickness is just like any other medium sized knife so it works just as good as any other mora or condor when it comes to woodwork and camp chores. For me it's a mora on steroids with a bit of a cool factor. For me it's size is much more manageable than SRK or fallkniven S1 for example.

I like mine very much and I don't find it handicapped in any knife related duty. Any questions just ask.

Reactions: airborne09

airborne09

Forager
Dec 9, 2016
North East
Kobun owner here.
The handle defo requires paracord wrap as it's very thin, but I think it was designed for it as it works very well and fits in the sheath wrapped. Also the blade looks much better after a little polish with polishing compound (like brasso).

As to bushcraft use. It's not the classic blade shape but the size and thickness is just like any other medium sized knife so it works just as good as any other mora or condor when it comes to woodwork and camp chores. For me it's a mora on steroids with a bit of a cool factor. For me it's size is much more manageable than SRK or fallkniven S1 for example.

I like mine very much and I don't find it handicapped in any knife related duty. Any questions just ask.
Hi BM thanks for the reply, As Ive said before there is no such thing as a one knife does all in bushcrafting or campcraft so without going over the top and overloading oneself on any expedition as far as smaller to medium sized knives go for carrying out general utillity tasks around the camp then the kobun would be more than adequate for me along with a smaller backup skinning knife. I think the slightly curved blade makes it an excellent choice for slicing meat , rope and even smaller branches from trees etc and Im sure if it was ever needed for defence purposes then it would step up to the job. I personally dont like the thicker US style chisel point tip but after watching a few youtube videos it certainly could have its uses and can punch its weight ! If I do end up buying one then I think I would try and re profile the bottom edge of the yokote to make it more round in shape . As an afterthought I have seen in the past many people buying the biggest , meanest looking knife they can buy to use in bushcraft (it seems to be an American thing) only to find that you dont need something like that as a general bushcraft knife , hence my plugging the Kobun , but we all have our own thoughts and ideas on our favorite knife choices .

airborne09

Forager
Dec 9, 2016
North East
Further to my first post , I feel I should have been more specific . When I talk about bushcrafting / campcraft I assume most people go ready prepared with a tent or some other form of shelter and some other mod cons like maybe a kettle , cookware etc and just want to spend a little time wild camping . However if you are thinking of clearing bush , cutting your own withies and larger supporting poles for a shelter and other more strenuous bushcrafting skills then yes I would endorse using the addition of a good axe , parang , machete , Bhaco saw or even a well made Scandanavian 10" blade Leuko / Lekku knife which in my view are an excellent choice for this kind of work .

airborne09

Forager
Dec 9, 2016
North East
Kobun owner here.

All right BM See youre from Manchester , Im from North East , dont suppose you know of any decent permissible land for bushcraft use up North ? good wooded areas where you are allowed firelighting etc etc ?

airborne09

Forager
Dec 9, 2016
North East
Kobun owner here.

Wonder what your thoughts are on this BM . Slicing full length along the underside of the Kobun handle to fully remove kraton rubber hadle from the tang . Carefully cut the krayton bolster off then replace with a pre made brass bolster (sure someone sells them) , replace the Krayton handle to the tang and epoxy in place . Then complete with a paracord or some other type of wrap ?? Cant see any problems doing this .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE