Completely Bonkers!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I have a friend who works as an engineer on the London Underground. He recently told me about a conversation he had with one of the Train cleaners. The chap in question was from Kenya and had lived in London for 8 years.

He was a Masai who was brought up in a small village near the Masai Mara reserve. While he lived in his Village he had hunted wild Game with Spears, and had even claimed a lion in this way. Living close to Nature was a way of life for him and his Family.

Now he is living in a small flat in Walthamstow with 6 other people, and cleaned vomit off the Train Seats for a living. Apparently he considered himself to be better off here. :confused:

It does make me wonder how many other Tribal Peoples are living in the UK. I just wish they would start posting on here from time to time.

Porcupine

Forager
Aug 24, 2005
Leek,The Netherlands
the grass is greener.....

few things i can think of:

more chance at havin food each day
not relying on the weather and chance for food
healthcare
education for his kids so they can earn more then him

living of the land is nice n dandy when its a choice,bet its way less fun when you see ppl die from an infected wound.(yeah,i know painting the bleak side now but if it can go wrong bet on it happening when you live there long enough)

He's better off in Kenya to be honest.

What is there on offer in this country?

Money?

Health care?

Security?

I'd rather take my chances with the lions than live in 'modern' Britain.

Don't pay your council tax..........prison.

Get ill and end up in hospital......die from MRSA.

Be tolerant and promote the multicultural experiment..........die from home grown islamic terrorists.

Ex tribal members that emigrate are a minority because they usually lack the resources to obtain a visa and usually have no interest whatsoever in leaving behind there kin.

To them bushcraft is a way of life,not a hobby.

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
There are a few of us here, not from Africa myself but from Canada. Sometimes I have a hard time understanding the minimilist aspect of some post, the enduring without is great to test but realisticly primitive peoples will "upgrade" to newer technology if they are able to, anything to make their life easier. Aboriginals that are still "tribal" have no home other than what they have to go back to, after the "adventure". Primitive living isn't so great after a few years and seeing peoples suffer because they have no access to needed items that even I take for granted. I can live off the "land" naked (not a pretty sight) and barefoot, but having a good kit and a "clan" / "tribe" to back me up is the best (easiest), can't always do everything myself at the highest level of efficiency. Bushcrafting is great for a test/ treat of one's abilities but gets old quick when it is always a life and death option, that's why we evolve, no?
just a confused thought :eek:

Too true mate but sometimes living in the so called 'developed' world is alot more depressing and dangerous.

We just wash over and hide the dangers that face us.

Alot of developing countries that are hit by famine are useually placed into this situation by greedy corporations that force farmers to switch from subsistence farming to growing products for the decedent west. :(

JoshG

Nomad
Sep 23, 2005
Stockton-on-tees, England.
stotRE said:
Too true mate but sometimes living in the so called 'developed' world is alot more depressing and dangerous.

We just wash over and hide the dangers that face us.

Alot of developing countries that are hit by famine are useually placed into this situation by greedy corporations that force farmers to switch from subsistence farming to growing products for the decedent west. :(
Yeah I agree, our western problems are alot more subtle and sly.

swamp donkey

Forager
Jun 25, 2005
uk
With out wanting to offend :) sometimes people on this site boogle my mind :rolleyes: and appear to be living in cloud cuckoo land. As some one who has spent a lot of time on the ground all over the world . Let me say anyone who thinks the tribal life is the good life should think again big time .
Let me share last years experience. :( One of your family is ill with maleria , its a five day walk to the nearest hospital, you have to suffer the indignaty of acepting charity from a forgiener (me) to buy the drugs you need, the hospital has two doctors for over 100 thousand people . the expensive drugs do no good because they are fake, your family member dies dispite your best efforts :(
Here is a direct quote from my masai freind which he made me write down.

"Our Roads are 5h*t ,
Our Hospitals are 5h*t
Our Schools are 5h*t
Our Goverment is Corrupt ! "

They are people the same as us with the same asperations, it is wrong wrong wrong for us to try and keep them making fire with sticks if the want to use lighters .
End of rant sorry :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE