Chillies - what to do with them

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
We've just been given a load of chillies and more coming tomorrow, now i like chillies but i've not got a lot of ideas of what to do with this lot, i'm going to start dehydrating some but any suggestions of what's good to do with them such as sauces, relish etc would be great

Thanks in advance :D

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
Make like a chilli salsa to go on top of a steak....

Lime juice, chilli n tomatoes chopped really fine/blended and anything else u fancy adding... splash of tequilla.
On top of your Steak - absolutely amazing but really simple!

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
A quick Google leads me to this, which may be of interest. Basically your options are drying, smoking, pickling or canning.

I suppose you could cook them into sauces and then freeze them, but that way they're only good for whatever you've done with them. Preserving them simply as chillies gives you the option to use them whatever way you want to at the time.

I'm going to have to set about pickling this year's chilli crop soon...

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Have you tried the search function Tony? - its very good!
doorui9.gif
ashamed053611282jy0.gif
sorry couldn't resist :D

Hugh did this Tutorial a while ago - http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45519

leon-1

We've just been given a load of chillies and more coming tomorrow, now i like chillies but i've not got a lot of ideas of what to do with this lot, i'm going to start dehydrating some but any suggestions of what's good to do with them such as sauces, relish etc would be great

Thanks in advance :D

Chillies are the basis for most hot spicy foods in Thai, Indian and Mexican foods amongst others.

If you have thin skinned chillies there tends to be no reason to stick them through the dehydrator, put them on a foil tray on a dry windowsill that faces the sun and they'll dehydrate quite quickly on their own.

Thick skinned chillies like Jalapenos are normally dryed or smoked (chipotle chillies are smoked Jalapenos). Chipotles are very good in relishes like chipotle ketchup (tomato ketchup with bite).

Salsas and salad dressing where you add chilli to taste before serving are an idea.

Chilli oil either for making dressings or for cooking with, stuff as many chilies into a bottle as you can within reason and add olive oil, then leave to allow the capsicum to permeate through the oil turning the oil a couple of times once a week so that you end up with even heat throughout the oil.

You can freeze down sliced thick skinned chillies as well.

Somewhere I have a list of recipes about, if you're interested let me know and I'll dig it out.:D

leon-1

He he, yep :D I read that but i've got a lot, a hundred at least at the moment and more tomorrow

That's good it should just about do 1 bottle of oil dependent on the type of chillies, give us a clue boss:D

Umm, Chillies in my olive oil....5L at a time :D

You only need a litre for cooking with and top it up every now and again, you'll probably still get through the same 5L of oil.

Tone I'll send you a PM with a link to some recipes, loads of them are for the normal chili type food stuff, others are for sauces, salsa and things. It'll take some reading through as there are a lot of recipes.

Morning Fox

Forager
Sep 30, 2008
Reigate
If you can get yourself some of this stuff....

41rBMBk4bzL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Chop an onion, thumb of ginger and a load of chillies and poor the kecap manis over the top. Leave for 5 minutes to infuse and oh my god.. you have the best flavour to ever grace your taste buds. Honestly. Its a type of sambal. I make this and every one that tries it is blown away with how good it is.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hi Tony,

That chilli sauce recipe of mine only makes a pint and a half with 8 big chillis - so I could rip through 50 easily if laying back a years supply. Dried a bit and packed into jam jars full of oil (don't dry till brittle) stores huge amounts. Chopped you can get 30 or more into an 8oz (half pint) jam jar of oil (depends on size).

Dry fully and whiz em up in a grinder and make chilli powder?

Chilli jam? (Surprisingly good)

Lastly drop into an envelope and address to......

British Red
The scruffy cottage

:D

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
thanks all, i'll do a few different things with them, i'm also planning on growing some for next year, I'm just in the process of putting the foundations in for a 10x20 greenhouse we got 2nd hand the other day.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Well, we've dried some, made powder with others and got a load in olive oil and we're getting more today :)

I think i'll go to the market tomorrow and pick up some toms and see what we can make :D

Thanks for all the input thus far

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE