Chamaenerion angustifolium - Fireweed - Any use?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter

Do they have any bushcrafty / forgaing potential?

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
What I know as fireweed, tall plant with pink flowers , turning to fluffy seeds, has, as far as I know two uses, there may be more, but the young shoots I think, if memory serves me right can be eaten, but I'm not 100% sure on that. I can't find my book to check, so someone may put me right on that.
The fluffy seeds can be used as tinder in a tinder bundle. They take a spark easily, but, like old man's beard, are a flash tinder with a short burn time. I put them inside my tinder bundle and the charcloth on top of that to help establish a flame. Or use them with a fire steel, in the same way, with other tinder that burns for longer.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
You can eat the inner pith, although I found it quite bland.
Paul Kirtley has an article on it
I found the same. Plus the pith from the more woody section of the stem was rather bitter

Sebc

Oct 31, 2021
Yorkshire
I found the same. Plus the pith from the more woody section of the stem was rather bitter
I found this at points, I'm not totally sure but I think I found it Improved later in the year. I could be totally wrong because there are so many variables.

Sebc

Oct 31, 2021
Yorkshire
I've eaten the young shoots as well as the pith. I've tried the roots after reading somewhere they are edable, honestly kne of the most disgusting things I've ever eaten.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
The PFAF entry might be worth a read, especially the warning about hazards.

matarius777

Nomad
Aug 29, 2019
Lancaster
The rather excellent Survival Russia YouTube channel has a video where his Russian wife shows how to make Fireweed / Ivan tea and how to process the fresh leaves. The freshly harvested leaves are crushed in the hand then undergo a fermentation process (so actually similar to our tea).

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell

Do they have any bushcrafty / forgaing potential?
yes. food , cordage, tinder and sugar can be extracted from the root. it is called fireweed because it is one of the first plants to colonize where there has been fire. It is one of the willow herb family. named so because the leaves resenble those of the willow trees. hope that helps. thanks for askin. x

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE