CBT training

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Have you already passed your car test (so passed your bike test via direct access) or are you looking for a 125?

As much as it pains me to admit it a four stroke 125 (Like a Valderado) will be the more sensible choice despite them having less poke than something like a two stroke KMX 125.

If your allowed to ride a 33 BHP bike you have much more choice.

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
thanks for all of the advice guys, looks like there's a few people with some pretty serious machines, maybe we should organise a biking and buhcrafting weekend were we all meet somewhere, bike to a location and set up camp for the night.

when my loan from the bank of mum and dad comes through and i have a bike that is :D

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
Have you already passed your car test (so passed your bike test via direct access) or are you looking for a 125?

Hi demographic,

Not sure what you mean by this? It sounds like your suggesting that passing your car test is the same as passing direct access?

Just to be certain, direct access and car tests are not the same. It used to be that if you had a full car license you automatically had a provisional bike license. This isn't the case now. Even a provisional biker must pass the CBT before being allowed on the roads. The direct access is a training and testing program, usually over a couple of days, where you have training and take the CBT (on a small bike 50 to 125) and full test on a bike of (I think) 33BHP or more.

Not trying to be smart. Just trying to help.

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
Hi demographic,

Not sure what you mean by this? It sounds like your suggesting that passing your car test is the same as passing direct access?

Just to be certain, direct access and car tests are not the same. It used to be that if you had a full car license you automatically had a provisional bike license. This isn't the case now. Even a provisional biker must pass the CBT before being allowed on the roads. The direct access is a training and testing program, usually over a couple of days, where you have training and take the CBT (on a small bike 50 to 125) and full test on a bike of (I think) 33BHP or more.

You are right, the law changed in 2001 :)

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Hi demographic,

I passed my test before any of the direct access stuff came in and when i did it you were only allowed to ride a 12 BHP bike till you passed your bike test.

You still had to do CBT though, but then they changed it so people could ride a 33 BHP bike when learning and to be honest I don't have a clue what the current legislation is.
I kind of lost count as soon as it didn't matter to me.

I've got an 1989 750 Slingshot and a 1990 two stroke 500 motocrosser converted to supermoto use as well as another 90 model 500 crosser thats waiting for cash to do it up.

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
Started of on a Suzuki GS125ES
Then a Suzuki GSX400F
Then a Honda CB450N
Then a BMW R1100RS SE

(I suppose I should include various "work bikes" BMW R80/7, BMW R80RT, BMW K75RT, Honda Pan European 1100)

Then 9 years without a bike (old house needed doing up and I could get more bricks and sacks of plaster in a Land-Rover)
Back to biking last year with a Suzuki DRZ400S trailie to get back into the swing of things (shortly to be advertised on eBay!)
and, as of last Sunday, a BMW R1150GS Adventure, :D (a la Ewan & Charlie, Long Way 'Round).

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
A Custom!

Nice. All you need now are the leather chaps and tassled jacket and you'll be set :)

Only kidding. Welcome to the club. It's a nice little bike and a lot of fun to get you started. Much nicer than the 34th hand Honda C90 Cub I started with.

R

Roland

Well done Nat. Any bike is fun and good to improve on. My first was a 250 Greeves, not many of those around now. These days it's a BMW K1200R. Have fun, stay safe.

Roland

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE