Carrots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
u2a4e4am.jpg

Er what's going on with these?
Ta d

bernie66

Tenderfoot
Oct 7, 2007
wirral uk
www.downsizer.net
They're going to seed. In my experience those going to seed either have no carrot worth speaking of or thee carrot has gone very woody in the centre. And in my case its due to overcrowding through a failure on my part to thin them out. I'd pull that one out, if its a big carrot the others should be ready to eat. Mind you I eat everything early because I'm impatient.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
I pulled it... it was a reasonable size, the only thing was that the pointy end was a bit white coloured? ?
I did thin them but they are between a row of parsnips so maybe lack of light? ?

bernie66

Tenderfoot
Oct 7, 2007
wirral uk
www.downsizer.net
Possibly, I'm no expert but have had a few whiter than expected ones also. They taste ok. Home grown carrots, to me at least, are one of the biggest "eye openers" for taste compared with shop bought. They even smell better!

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
Carrots can vary quite a bit in colour, however they will start to go whiter and woody when they begin to produce flowers. You can get multi-coloured carrot seed mixtures that will produce white, yellow, orange, red and deep purple carrots and they actually do taste slightly different.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE