Canoe Paddleing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Don't you already have to have canoeing certificates to take part in these courses?:confused:
R.B.

On some trips proving yourself to be a certain level of competence is a prerequisite. Sometimes it's for the safety of the group and sometimes it's for insurance.
In a lot of cases though it's similar to mountain biking or climbing. You can go out and get silly if you're willing to accept the risk:). You can borrow stuff, chuck yourself down rapids, do what you like.....

A lot of the courses offered by bushcraft schools will have an instructor on board who'll not only see you legaly through it but teach you a damn sight more than you'll learn in a lifetime of paddle waving.
SotP is perfect. The meets presume that each paddler is going out there to do their own thing. If there happen to be others out there at the same time doing the same thing that's just a fortunate occurance...;)

John Dixon

Forager
May 2, 2006
Cheshire
hi guys i am running canoe training on monday evenings in Cheshire on the river Weaver, starts at 6pm if you fancy some tips pop down no charge, i have a few coaches who will be more than happy to give some help if required or just pop down for a play.
Lasts all summer i use it as staff development so trainee and qualified coaches are present and people improving their personel skills so drop me a PM for more details if you are interested....
j

Were going to loch Lomond Bernie I don't know the area very well but I want to check out some of the islands then we will head north up the Loch I reckon I am in a bright Yellow canoe with big black eyes on the front be with a green Old town with 2 guys in it , if you see us give us a shout :) I met you at the knife show so I will recognise you if I see you.
Hope to bump into you mate , and that goes for anyone else in the area give us a shout if you see us

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Were going to loch Lomond Bernie I don't know the area very well but I want to check out some of the islands then we will head north up the Loch I reckon I am in a bright Yellow canoe with big black eyes on the front be with a green Old town with 2 guys in it , if you see us give us a shout :) I met you at the knife show so I will recognise you if I see you.
Hope to bump into you mate , and that goes for anyone else in the area give us a shout if you see us

Hi John
We'll no doubt bump into each other then,i'm leaving derby sunday morning,dont know about the island trip though as still going round in circles,pm me your mobile and i'll give you a bell when i get there cheers

Bernie

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland

Hope you have a great time up here Singeblister and you too Bernie.

Don't forget a good insect repellent and a headnet if you can as the midges can be notoriously bad this time of year especially along the north shore of the loch. I was away in Glen Etive at the weekend and got eaten alive by horseflies, mosquitoes and midges.

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Thanks to everyone for all your advice,have finally learnt to go in a straight line with the j stroke and Maxine has managed it also,we've now had a change of plan and are of Saturday instead of Sunday,will take the camera and post some pics,thanks again all,

Bernie
Me trying to do the biz
100_0031.jpg

100_0035.jpg

Maxine doing the biz
100_0013.jpg

100_0016.jpg

100_0023.jpg

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Good on you Bernie, It's a doddle once you get the hang of it, very much like riding a bike as mentioned earlier ( without the gravel rash!)
I like the look of the boat, a bit of the "charles river" about it, actually nearer the traditional birch bark shape.
Whats it made of Bernie? is it glass fibre or one of the polyputtheketlon varieties like mine?
Cheers
Steve

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Hi Steve its glass fibre,with a sealed compartment each end, elasticated hatches with flotation bags, now i'm getting used to it am loving it,but still will get more tuition as fancy shooting a rapid or two,we'll have to meet up in the lakes one weekend before the weather gets to bad.cheers

Bernie

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Hi Steve its glass fibre,with a sealed compartment each end, elasticated hatches with flotation bags, now i'm getting used to it am loving it,but still will get more tuition as fancy shooting a rapid or two,we'll have to meet up in the lakes one weekend before the weather gets to bad.cheers

Bernie

Let me know when your planning to hit the lakes Bernie, me and Tom( the young un and main power source:D ) will join you for the day at least(if I'm not at work:rolleyes: )
cheers
Steve

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
You'd think so, and it is the way I used to paddle her. Thing is, Bernie cannot fit in as he is so tall, his feet end up under the thwart (ahoy - hoy!) which you can imagine isn't safe in the event of a capsize.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I must say though Bernie, considering Maxines' uneasyness at the thought of paddling Anno, she looks well at home on the water.

It's nice to see pictures of Anno as I never saw pictures of her before on the water, or anybody else paddling her along. Looks like she sits on the oggin nicely, I'll have fond memories of messing about on the river in Germany with her, gettuing her up on the roof rack on the other hand is something I won't miss!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE