Canoe Paddleing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Is there any local open canoeist local to me Derby,who can show me the ropes on how to paddle correctly,collected my canoe of Spam today, and took it out for a spin and just can't paddle in a straight line.

Bernie

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Is there any local open canoeist local to me Derby,who can show me the ropes on how to paddle correctly,collected my canoe of Spam today, and took it out for a spin and just can't paddle in a straight line.

Bernie

Oh Bernie, I wish I was a bit closer mate, if it's any consolation; I was going sideways, round in circles and backwards for the first 20 minutes or so:D ( if my Thomas hadn't been there I might still have been going round and round:D )
You'll soon get the hang of it though, if it's any help; when you paddle,leave the blade in the water behind you and then angle it slightly in the direction you want to go.
Very much like a rudder, you may find you're swapping sides a lot at the minute but once you get the hang of angling your paddle as described, you rarely if ever need to swap sides.

Have a look on you tube under "the J stroke" or "open canoe" there are some really useful, as well as interesting, tutorial clips on there;)

Anyway, very best of luck and i hope someone can sort you out;)
cheers
Steve

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Dont know what make but its a 16 footer,Spam brought it when he was in germany,i'll get some pics up in the next few days,but me and the missus can get it on the roof of the pajero no probs,just cant stop going in circles though on the water.

Bernie

rancid badger

Dont know what make but its a 16 footer,Spam brought it when he was in germany,i'll get some pics up in the next few days,but me and the missus can get it on the roof of the pajero no probs,just cant stop going in circles though on the water.

Bernie

Ah...yes.......Well of course,the er,( cough) technical term for this, at least where I come from, is in fact;
roond and roond syndrome:D :D

A bit like this:
I almost always paddle on the right, unless I'm in with a newcomer ( hah! listen to Capt. Pugwash!)
P6280010copyresized3.jpg

The boat is simply NOT going where I intended here!:sulkoff:
great fun learning though and once your away the freedom is fantastic
cheers
Steve

your welcome to come out with me sometime Bernie, but I am away from weds for a week in Scotland then a week away with the family , I was the same when i got my canoe hit one side of the canal , then the other , then back agian lol ,,, look up the J stroke , I also have the canoe leaning over to the right with the gunnal in the water most of the time , you just need to have a play doesnt take long mate.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Have you signed up at song of the paddle yet Bernie? Sure there would be folk on there paddling around you.

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/

There is a new canoe/kayak group set up based around Buxton that go for a paddle every Thursday evening. I am planning taking the kids along there some time over the next few weeks, they have kit to borrow too.

http://www.peakpaddlers.co.uk/index.html#

I am envious of your new canoe, are you going to show us a picture or has Spam got one?

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Thanks Robin i'll check it out,were abouts in scotland are you going John ? all being well i'm going up to Newton Stewert Dumfries, on sunday and plan to spend a couple of days at loch Lomond and also spend a few days slalking as its the red rut.

Bernie

David.from.Holland

Tenderfoot
May 29, 2008
Holland
Practice using the j-stroke (as mentioned). Start out with your paddle blade perpendicular to the direction of travel and finish your stroke with the blade in line with the direction of travel. The stroke is ended with al little "flick" of the paddle away from the canoe to keep the canoe on course.

leon-1

Bernie

Bernie, have a good time in Scotland. I can honestly say that it's a lot easier paddling an open canoe than paddling an inflatable Kayak, they are very lively. The wind turns them, the current turns them, a pebble drops in the ocean a few thousand miles away and the resulting ripple (insignificant to all but the very smallest of creatures) turns them and heaven help it if you break wind:eek:.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
You can get by fine with just the basics and it's only as technical as the first time you rode a bike or drove a car - I'm fairly new to the paddling business myself and finding now I know a bit about what I'm supposed to do, it's becoming more about feel. I think it only needs to get really technical if you want to do your higher BCU qualifications - not really necessary for the kind of relaxed pootling I want to do.

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
Hi Bernie

I guess you will be making your way up into the Galloway forest for reds. You may well look at the Cree above the weir in Newton Stewart could be some nice paddling there.

If you dont know the area take the coast road from NS to Wigtown Bay and you can get out onto the estuary at any number of points along that route or park at the Stake below Wigtown and walk out on the boardwalk. Also Luce bay is worth visiting, say hello to the otter for me.

Will you be coming back to NS for the fowling?

In my limited experience big open water can be hard work and scary smaller lochs much more fun especially if there are streams connecting or feeding them.

Have a good time, Pothunter.

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Thanks everyone again,don't want to get to good just be able to go in a straight line would be handy,and will be in newton stewert sunday afternoon,if any one fancys a meet up and can advise were me and the wife can pitch are tarps and hammocks,as i normaly stop with my mate in a mobile home when stalking,this is the first time in that area with the wife as we normally go to peebles.

Bernie

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
About a month ago I had the day at Bala, with Ray Goodwin... Very, very highly recommended, when it comes to all things canoe, Ray is undoubtedly 'The Man', and a gentleman to boot ;)

http://www.raygoodwin.com/

Not particularly local I know, but it's only a couple of hours, and if you want the best....

Many thanks Stuart,how much was it for the day or was it a block booking Cheers.

Bernie

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE