Canoe Paddleing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
I don't understand.... What is a 'central thwart'?

The thwart is the bit in the middle that you portage the canoe with,i wouldn't want to portage this one on my own though,the seats are to low on this canoe to get your legs under for kneeling ,Spam could manage it but at 6ft 3 in, theres no chance with me,iv'e taken the middle one out now and sit cross legged,
Its a good German design though, as the pic shows it converts to a kayak style, for when your brave enough for some white watering.

Bernie

100_0037.jpg

100_0038.jpg

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
I don't understand.... What is a 'central thwart'?

The thwart is the bit in the middle that you portage the canoe with,i wouldn't want to portage this one on my own though,the seats are to low on this canoe to get your legs under for kneeling ,Spam could manage it but at 6ft 3 in, theres no chance with me,iv'e taken the middle one out now and sit cross legged,
Its a good German design though, as the pic shows it converts to a kayak style, for when your brave enough for some white watering.

Bernie

100_0037.jpg

100_0038.jpg

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
I must say though Bernie, considering Maxines' uneasyness at the thought of paddling Anno, she looks well at home on the water.

She did well. Just got to calm her fears of: deep water, weirs, waterfalls, rocks, waves, getting marooned, fog and the list goes on. All this she thinks will happen when out on the loch

Bernie

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
I think I would take the centre seat out. Solo I would paddle from the front seat facing backward to get the canoe trimmed better (trim being the balance of the canoe front to back). tandem just use the front and back seats as intended.

If you paddle solo from the back seat the wind will always be catching the front and trying to turn the canoe. The only two things you need to learn for canoeing are the "J" stroke and trim. After that all the rest is a bonus.

To see how trim works sit in the back of the canoe and do not paddle. The wind will turn you so your back is to the wind. Move forward to the middle of the canoe and the wind will turn the canoe side on. Move further forward and the canoe will turn into the wind. So to canoe into a wind have the front of the canoe slightly heavier so you weathercock into the wind and save on having to steer as much.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I think you've done the right thing by throwing on a life jacket and getting out there Bernie. I cannot say I'm an expert paddler by any stretch of the imagination, but after a few hours on the water with basic stuff I'd picked up, I was able to get her up and down a river and across a large pond! It's a lot of fun, but I never did a trip like you have planned, I reckon you'll have a really good time.

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
I think you've done the right thing by throwing on a life jacket and getting out there Bernie. I cannot say I'm an expert paddler by any stretch of the imagination, but after a few hours on the water with basic stuff I'd picked up, I was able to get her up and down a river and across a large pond! It's a lot of fun, but I never did a trip like you have planned, I reckon you'll have a really good time.

Well Spam were off Saturday morning,Loch ken first tarp and hammock the night there then loch by loch till we get to loch Lomond,comeing back wedensday.Have a good time at the Moot and catch up when we all get back.all the best.

Bernie

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE