Paddle advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
A question for the canoeists among you.
I'm looking to upgrade our three-piece aluminium paddles at 1140g, and cheap kids rubber dinghy paddles.

We are two adults, two kids, who are both getting to the point of needing proper, feathered paddles rather than the plastic single bladed dinghy paddles they've been playing with. We paddle local rivers, generally slow moving. Mostly we're just touring around. The odd lake every now and then. We use a good quality 2 person inflatable (adventure elements) and a 2 person hard shell touring kayak.

I've got my eye on this decathlon paddle. I could get a couple of these.

I'm 6 foot 2 so seems a good size for me, but perhaps a touch long for someone 5 foot 5? Has anyone used this or know much about it? Or any particular recommendations?

As for the kids, I'm not too sure, I may let them run with the aluminium ones we've got. I could even remove a segment although they may struggle to reach over side of the canoe if I did that. Any recommendations gratefully received.

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
Sorry but are you after kayak paddles or canoe paddles ? as you mention canoeists and reaching over the side of the canoe.

Watch-keeper

Life Member
Sep 3, 2013
London
Looks like a good paddle and decathlon usually make decent stuff. Length wise i think for the hardshell it would be ok for you, not sure about the inflatable though. I paddle a folding kayak where you sit a bit higher, the beam is much wider than a hardshell too so requires a longer paddle I guess it's the same for an inflatable? Does the inflatable maker have any recommendations for paddle length, my paddles are adjustable from 220-235. A short person using a long paddle isn't a major drama if you are just messing around on the water with the kids, even with long paddles we can paddle 3 or 4 km with out it being a problem.
I bought paddles from Celtic Paddles as I couldn't find anything with the right length, they will make longer lengths to order.

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
Looks like a good paddle and decathlon usually make decent stuff. Length wise i think for the hardshell it would be ok for you, not sure about the inflatable though. I paddle a folding kayak where you sit a bit higher, the beam is much wider than a hardshell too so requires a longer paddle I guess it's the same for an inflatable? Does the inflatable maker have any recommendations for paddle length, my paddles are adjustable from 220-235. A short person using a long paddle isn't a major drama if you are just messing around on the water with the kids, even with long paddles we can paddle 3 or 4 km with out it being a problem.
I bought paddles from Celtic Paddles as I couldn't find anything with the right length, they will make longer lengths to order.
Great points thank you. I guess the decathlons will therefore be well suited to the hardshell, and our existing ones which came with the inflatable and actually slightly longer, can stay with the inflatable.

Sorry but are you after kayak paddles or canoe paddles ? as you mention canoeists and reaching over the side of the canoe.

Sorry, yes, it is kayak paddles that I am after.

Reactions: birchwood

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE