Can you successfully post a comment about not using a knife without drawing flack?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Excuse my ignorance but why have/use a two headed axe? I'm assuming you aren't chopping a second tree with your back swing! ;)

Fallschirmwomble

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2009
Tennis Town
When I eat baked beans I use a spoon so I don't cut my mouth :)

Spoon = vital
Knife = unnecessary

In the true bushcraft way, I make myself a spoon from wood EVERY time I go out in the woods - and I don't even think of carrying a knife! Knives are for amateurs!!!

In my experience, to carve out the scoop part of a wooden spoon, using the tip of the chainsaw that I always carry everywhere with me does the job very nicely...

;)

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Spoon = vital
Knife = unnecessary

In the true bushcraft way, I make myself a spoon from wood EVERY time I go out in the woods - and I don't even think of carrying a knife! Knives are for amateurs!!!

In my experience, to carve out the scoop part of a wooden spoon, using the tip of the chainsaw that I always carry everywhere with me does the job very nicely...

;)

Is it one of these? If so, goood choice :notworthy

PM850_zpsd966ab12.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Excuse my ignorance but why have/use a two headed axe? I'm assuming you aren't chopping a second tree with your back swing! ;)

Much better balanced than a single bit, you can go twice as long without sharpening, you can have each bit ground differently - one to split, one to cut.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Much better balanced than a single bit, you can go twice as long without sharpening, you can have each bit ground differently - one to split, one to cut.

Aaahhh! Makes sense. Always just used single bit myself. Then used the other side as a sledgehammer to knock a post in!!! ;)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Knives are very useful. BUT! they are NOT interchangable with toilet paper! I will NEVER use my knife when TP is needed.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
It's feasible to sue flint tools etc if the material is available, I often use flint or shells for cutting etc rather than get the knife out or if i've not got one on me.
If you're straight forward camping you probably don't need a knife or if you're going to a pre established place, you could take foods that don't need cutting or cutting open and spend longer than usual collecting firewood etc, if you needed to split it you could do so with other bits of wood, if you really needed to.

But a knife is very useful :D

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I don't carry a knife most of the time when I'm away from work. At work I always have a Stanley knife on my toolbelt pouch.
Gardeners secateurs are sometimes better than a knife in some situations and as much as I like nice knives (I own several) I don't need one with me all the time.

I'd go as far as to say that garden secateurs are a very under rated tool on here.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE