Can you successfully post a comment about not using a knife without drawing flack?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Before I go to the woods, I always arrange for the trees to be cut down and removed first. This leaves me with nothing to hang my tarp from so I have someone stick some bricks together with mortar to build an improvised shelter. As I never carry a knife, I ask that the "shelter" has central heating. A new invention I have come across relatively recently is a vast improvement on the old "Bush TV". I have found that asking for "sanitation" means I no longer have to carry a trowel either. I have also found that the problem of muddy campsites can be overcome with the simple application of some tarmac, which the contractors always carry with them. Maybe someday all woods will be like mine!

Z

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I keep losing knives. If it's not stainless steel it's rusty. I can go whole weeks without using a knife when out and about. Sticks snap, Axe chops. Saw cuts larger than stick thick, less then it snaps. Tinder paper takes sparks so no feather sticks. My ferro rod has a striker. I use gas or meths stoves mostly. I don't have a job which needs a knife but at work they use a few types from Stanley to machetes. Machetes need replacing every few months.
So I don't always need to carry one. So I don't. Still alive and well.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I keep losing knives. If it's not stainless steel it's rusty. I can go whole weeks without using a knife when out and about. Sticks snap, Axe chops. Saw cuts larger than stick thick, less then it snaps. Tinder paper takes sparks so no feather sticks. My ferro rod has a striker. I use gas or meths stoves mostly. I don't have a job which needs a knife but at work they use a few types from Stanley to machetes. Machetes need replacing every few months.
So I don't always need to carry one. So I don't. Still alive and well.
And you cut up your food with...? :)

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
When out in hills I don't need to. Use a long handled spoon and dried food which comes out pretty soft. Spoon does well. I'm into lightweight I'm afraid. Stopped carrying a knife when I realized it never got used. I always look at my kit list and apart from fak and a few essentials I leave out on the next trip whatever doesn't get used.

At home I use kitchen knives which don't leave the kitchen or table knives when eating. They don't get carried outside the house. I have no reason to carry a knife outside of the house much. Occasional trips I take one. Not that common and only if I know I will be needing one. I don't carry one "just in case".

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Knives should actively be discouraged from being used both in the woods or in any place that involves Joe Public passing his his holier than thou opinion. Almost 99% of work that a knife would be used for can be done with alternative tools. I personally prefer using a kipper. They are readily available and from a renewable source unlike a carbon bladed knife.

With a little patience and several worms a kipper can be trained to chew the bowl out of a piece of wood to form a spoon.

A knife is surpassed on many levels by a kipper. If you blow hard enough into a kipper a pleasant musical tone is heard. Try this on a knife and you may end up spitting blood.

A Kipper lives to be used as a spoon to stir soup with. Unlike a knife, a Kipper will not go rusty.

Kippers make pleasant company around the camp fire and will regale you with stories of the sea and of daring do on the Spanish main. A knife will not, though it has a sharp wit it is rather tight lipped (unlike you, if you try to use it as a whistle ...see above)

Sadly Kippers do not live as long as knives, however when stored in the freezer overnight will make fine felling or splitting axe if sharpened and mounted to a decent piece of hickory.

Once thawed and cooked over an open fire a kipper will provide you with much needed energy for a good snooze. Whereas, even with repeated boiling, a knife will still cut you if chewed.

As you may have guessed I have not taken my medication today. :lmao: Thanks for reading.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Or if you need a spoon take one!! Not rocket science.

Sorry, I must have forgotten similar medicine.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Lol. Now all that's needed is for the OP to edit the thread title and delete the first post to render this the most incomprehensible thread ever.

Z

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Knives should actively be discouraged from being used both in the woods or in any place that involves Joe Public passing his his holier than thou opinion. Almost 99% of work that a knife would be used for can be done with alternative tools. I personally prefer using a kipper. They are readily available and from a renewable source unlike a carbon bladed knife.

With a little patience and several worms a kipper can be trained to chew the bowl out of a piece of wood to form a spoon.

A knife is surpassed on many levels by a kipper. If you blow hard enough into a kipper a pleasant musical tone is heard. Try this on a knife and you may end up spitting blood.

A Kipper lives to be used as a spoon to stir soup with. Unlike a knife, a Kipper will not go rusty.

Kippers make pleasant company around the camp fire and will regale you with stories of the sea and of daring do on the Spanish main. A knife will not, though it has a sharp wit it is rather tight lipped (unlike you, if you try to use it as a whistle ...see above)

Sadly Kippers do not live as long as knives, however when stored in the freezer overnight will make fine felling or splitting axe if sharpened and mounted to a decent piece of hickory.

Once thawed and cooked over an open fire a kipper will provide you with much needed energy for a good snooze. Whereas, even with repeated boiling, a knife will still cut you if chewed.

As you may have guessed I have not taken my medication today. :lmao: Thanks for reading.

Fillet knives suck for Bushcraft! I traded up to a Damascus full tang Kipper with matching scales....

Mackerel.jpg

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
When out in hills I don't need to. Use a long handled spoon and dried food which comes out pretty soft. Spoon does well. I'm into lightweight I'm afraid. Stopped carrying a knife when I realized it never got used. I always look at my kit list and apart from fak and a few essentials I leave out on the next trip whatever doesn't get used.

At home I use kitchen knives which don't leave the kitchen or table knives when eating. They don't get carried outside the house. I have no reason to carry a knife outside of the house much. Occasional trips I take one. Not that common and only if I know I will be needing one. I don't carry one "just in case".

Ah - I see we do different kinds of bushcraft.
Me I am interested in making things on site - from carving stuff from tentpegs to building natural shelters, cooking stuff on site (even if it is only bacon grill :) ), foraging etc.
Most often it is the stove that never gets used as I prefer open fires and my most used bit of kit (other than my sleeping bag :) ) is my knife!
I did, in my youth, do a lot of backpacking over the hills but now that the body is wearing out I do more basecamping Bushcraft

not easy doing this kind of bushcraft without a knife!

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Swedish Chef needs no knife ...

[video=youtube;2Qj8PhxSnhg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpag e&v=2Qj8PhxSnhg[/video]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE