Boker Plus Prymate

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ANDYLASER

Nomad
Mar 27, 2004
SOUTHAMPTON
This is another knife I have wanted to acquire for some time. I remember back in BB days, there was a Japanese maker of Titanium trinkets who also make a chunky little EDC knife. The style has always appealed but not until recently, did I get around to finally sorting out one for myself. As I cannot remember the afore mentioned knife, the Boker Prymate and Mini Prymate were the obvious alternatives. These have been around for a few years now and are another successful design for Jesper Voxnaes.
[IMG]

Originally, the larger of the two knives was made using 7mm stock, which personally I find too thick for such a small knife. Recently, this has been reduced to 5mm which is a far better choice and is also used in the smaller Mini Prymate. This just left the awkward decision of which one to get. After much technical comparison (dithering), I plumped for the larger version and I must say I do believe I chose wisely. The order was placed with Lamnia and although out of stock at the time was over a tenner cheaper than elsewhere. VAT paid at source meant no surprises on arrival and a few weeks later another nice parcel arrived in the post.
[IMG]

The knife is well presented with a foam lined magnetically closed case featuring cut outs for the knife itself, the sheath and a belt loop. Also the all-important warranty card, although I can’t see this ever being needed. The knife itself is 16.7cm long and this is divided as 8.5cm blade and 8.2cm handle. As mentioned earlier, the blade is 5mm thick and made from D2. It has a stonewashed finish which suits the nature of the knife. The handle is a pair of chucky scalloped G10 grips with a red lining. The handle features two large hollow tubes as part of the design and mechanical fixing for the scales.
[IMG]

The short but well-shaped handle, combined with the large choil provide an excellent and robust grip. Although the scallops are well pronounced, the handle is surprisingly comfortable to hold. It fills the hand well and provides excellent control of the blade. The blade itself has a high and deep hollow grind. This is obviously required to get a usable edge out of such a thick piece of metal. The knife as supplied easily shaved off arm hair and being D2, I expect this edge would last for some time. The thick spine features some course jimping grooves. These have polished and rounded edges and are therefore a comfortable place for your thumb if you wish.
[IMG]

The original design was for military use as an all-purpose knife that would also open small packing cases, rather than prying doors off of hinges. I have no reason to doubt its ability to do this and with the short thick blade featuring full thickness along a substantial part of its length you would need to be doing something pretty epic to break it. I haven’t done much cutting with it yet and I don’t suppose slicing a block of gammon to make a BLT roll is going to worry it much.
[IMG]

The sheath is a hard plastic item and the knife locks into it very securely. No manner of shaking or violent contortions caused it to come loose. You can be confident it will be there when needed. The detachable belt loop can be mounted to provide vertical, or horizontal carry, thus providing lots of options. It can also be left off and a lanyard fitted to use as a neck knife, although its probably a bit big for this unless you want to look like Mr T.
[IMG]

All in all, another very well made knife that you can be confident of giving a hard time too without worry. I also think it looks quite cute and funky and is an excellent backup tool to keep in your pack.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE