Can anyone recommend a Hydration Bladder?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hellz

Nomad
Sep 26, 2003
Kent, England
www.hellzteeth.com
Me and my partner love going off and having cups of tea in the countryside. Now, I've got myself a Trangia Mini, I've got a Trangia kettle, I've got the tin cups... but, I find it hard to carry enough water! My other half is also a keen water drinker and we'll have finished my Sigg bottle before we're half way round :rolleyes:

So, I need some sort of bladder that I can attach to my Karrimore Delta 25. Preferably olive (or muted) and either 2 or 3 litre in capacity. I like the look of the Camelbak ones, but they have lots of different models.

Can anyone give me a shortlist/recommendation?

Thanks,

Hellz

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Hi Hellz I use A playtipus baldder inside my rucksack i have a 2lt and a 1.8lt this way I can prety much carry all the water i need this thread has some good info in it hoppe you find what your looking for.

James

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
If your just after a bladder, then I echo James in saying that Platypus bladders are great. Although the pricing is a bit odd, £15 for a 1litre then £16 for 1.8 and then £17 for 2.

But if you want a bag as well, then a certain surplus store by the name of Strikeforce do 3 litre camelbaks for a very good price:
http://www.strikeforcesupplies.co.uk/stock.php?page=bigpic&item=20009

Rod

On a new journey
I just go the the straight Platy bottles. I think the 1 litre one goes for about a fiver now. I find the pipe work/valve never performs as if should. I also keep a set of Platy repair patches in my kit - just in case Mr. Cockup puts hits boot in :eek:

And as Anthonyyy points out 2 people = 2 bladders. You can't do all the work! ;)

cheers

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I would recommend the platypus bladders too, have used them for years now and find them superb, though they will delaminate after time...................Jon

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
To just carry water, I have an Ortlieb bag that can be used as a solar shower, and when empty can be blown up and used as a pillow. Great bit of kit.

If I want to drink continually from it for rehydration, then Camelbak is the way ahead. I've had a few other types, Scott was one that was crap, none of them stood up to the camelbak. The Army Stores keep dishing them out to me!!

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I like the platypus bladders but I find their bite valves are prone to leaking so I use a camelbak valve, the 90 degree bend one with the lock.

Simca

Nov 6, 2004
Hungary
www.survival.hu
Camelbak Stoaway (2l) or Camelbak Unbottle (2l and 3l). They have big openings (easy to clean, to dry, to fill) and they come with an insulated cordura (stoaway) or strong nylon (unbottle) sheat. There are D-rings on the sheath, so you can attach them to the side of the backpack. Or you can just put it straight into the backpack, like the Platypus ones. I have the 3l Unbottle, and i like it a lot.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Snufkin said:
I like the platypus bladders but I find their bite valves are prone to leaking so I use a camelbak valve, the 90 degree bend one with the lock.
Yes they used to leak from the bite valve, but the newer type seem fine, you can get ones with taps to turn off the water.........................Jon

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
platapus stuff is great in my opinion, you can boil them freeze them and they have a very simple strong design.. they also come with a life time garentee so even if you do manage to brake one.. i know there are more high tech ones out there but i have never had the need to upgrade the platapus have really good simple mouth bits others i have seen have been much more complucated to use.. i got my one in 98 and its still going strong, the only problem i have ever had is the water freezing in the tube.. tucking it in your armpit helps! :)

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Hellz, not a cheap option by a long shot, but I bought one of these recently and it's great.

Camelback hotshot 3L...
http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.322764/sc.22/category.774/it.A/id.2818/.f

It's worth noting that you can get tube adaptors for filtration systems, which means you can refill the bladder via the tube while the bladder is still in your pack, direct from a "dirty" water source. Cool.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
I was once tasked with testing most of the leading brands of water bladders on the market, this position meant that I was provided with products from most of the manufacturers and put them though a series of tests to determine how robust they where and how functional they were.

this was not a controlled laboratory test and our methods were simple.

for burst strength of a full bladder will filled them to capacity and stood on top of them, then jumped on top of them and finally those that passed this (which most did) where subjected to being thrown repeatedly off the top of the warehouse onto the pavement below

we also dragged them behind vehicles, shock loaded the hoses to see what was required to make them come off etc and generally treated them very badly

from these tests I learnt the following

don’t buy bladders from the camelback brand they are a waste of money, they where always the first to fail every in every test

platypus bags are good value for money and better than camelback, so could be considered a good budget option

for shear robustness you cant beat the MSR Domadry bags, these bag passed every test without failure, nothing we could do short of stabbing them with a sharp knife would kill them, they are simplistic though and awkward to pack due to there shape and hose port design

for an all around balance of robustness and functionality hydration bladders manufactured by PRI came out top in most testers evaluation.

Since these tests I have used PRI and MSR bags in jungle and desert environments and they have continued to prove our original findings

RGRBOX

Forager
I use the Blackhawk Hydrastorm bags myself. The older models were crap... but the new ones are great... I've heard lots of comparison between them and others.. but mostly from tests with the older models.. the new ones have improved tubs, connections, and mouth valves.. they also put the anti-bacteria product in the material before the bag is molded.. that way your not drinking the stuff when it flakes of like the Camelbak ones do...

maverix

Forager
May 16, 2005
North Devon coast
Im using a source bag, its taken some fairly huge bangs from some impressive snowboard descents gone bad. still using it even tho its a little orange from using isotar powder in it.

Hellz

Nomad
Sep 26, 2003
Kent, England
www.hellzteeth.com
bambodoggy said:
Can anyone recommend a Hydration Bladder?

I don't see why not....although it most likely helps if you've used one before yourself :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Which I haven't, which is why I was asking... am I missing something? *looks suspicious* ;)

Thanks for the info all, I'm hoping to swing by field and trek this week to actually have a look at the platypus stuff... :D

Hellz

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE